Sunday, November 20, 2011

A poem about poetry.

I've been talking to the kids about poetry. They like poetry and they like music. Shorty noticed how lots of songs have rhyming words at the ends. I explained a few of the rules about poetry, and that some poems don't have any rules.These are rules you can follow if you want to but don't have to follow if you do not. this is an introduction to anarchy with words.

We pulled out their favourite Shel Silverstein books and read their favourites. Counted the iambs, named the feet, noticed the lack of rules from one to the next and sometimes in the same poem, but also recognized the forms in others that did follow a rule. They were delighted, inspired.

Shorty and I sat down and tried to write a poem. The question was "What should it be about?" I never know.  So here is what we created together:

8 Feet

A poem is a tricky thing;
not something started on a whim.

Should it rhyme? No, not all the time.
Should it inspire? Evoke desire?

Maybe just be for fun?

A poem is a tricky thing,
not easily begun.

We did well with the 8 feet for the first four lines, then went for a 6, 8, 6 finish for some reason. But since there are no rules it should be ok - right?

We are really bad at anarchy with words.

3 comments:

SafeTinspector said...

I like the poem! It kinda reminded me of A.A. Milne!

Rox said...

Well, at least it didn't start out "There once was a man from Nantucket..." although those truly are my favorite.

:)

I'm bad. I'm bad. Shumon.

yildizname said...

hello nice blog nice blog