Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Lemon Cupcakes

The school is having a country fair type thing next week. They came home with information sheets listing different events they could take part in. Shorty wants to do all of them. I told her to choose two. One is a cupcake bake-off. I'm hoping it's like a county fair where people bring in baked goods and they're all judged individually. Shorty thinks it's like Masterchef where all the kids are supposed to have a cooking contest. I'll have to clarify the conditions of the cupcake competition.

We talked this morning about cupcakes and what she thought she'd like to make. Flavour, frosting or icing, natural or food colouring; that kind of thing. She said Lemon, with lemon zest and lemon icing. A cupcake to display the amazingness of lemons. I'm all up for that. I also think she watches way too much Iron Chef.


The challenge now is to try and make a lemon cupcake that is also amazingness.
I'm looking at vegan recipes first because I doubt anyone else will make them and it'll be a nice surprise for people to taste that you don't need tons of animal products to make a cake taste nice. I have a standard recipe I always use but also want to make it as simple and use the fewest amount of ingredients possible just in case it is a bake-off. Try a few combinations and see which one everyone likes.

I'm considering, if I can find them, blood orange icing. That way it'll have a nice pinky colour naturally and keep the citrus theme.

I'm sure by the end of this week I'll never want to see another lemon cake again.

Inspirations source: Lemon Cupcakes

1 comment:

Rox said...

My mouth is WATERING! I love lemons!