Friday, April 09, 2010

Religion Doesn't Belong in Science Class

My Mom mentioned this to me on Tuesday when we talked as she's in Tenn and it's in all her newspapers.




Even if it's to say religion is a myth. This is the story from Knox County, Tenn. where a high school biology book makes a reference to the "Biblical myth of creation". I agree with the parents who've raised the complaint to the school board that this is inappropriate content in a biology book.

A biology book doesn't need to make any reference to religion of any kind. Just as Intelligent Design doesn't belong in a science book, neither do negative comments about religion. There should be absolutely no mention of religion at all.

I know the parent was annoyed over the word "myth" and that's the crux of his irritation, "Don't call my religion a myth". It still has nothing to do with understanding biology. I do wonder what the other things are they find misleading in the book, but this interview doesn't go into that.

4 comments:

phonakins said...

I don't remember what was actually in my science and bio books, but I remember my teacher in senior bio saying something along in the lines of "some people believe in Creationism, that's fine, but we can't study that, so we're studying evolution and its evidence" not a quote, but a gist... :D

phonakins said...

Myth is also likely to be used in the technical sense

"a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature."

So not actually passing judgement on whether it's right or not http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/myth

Lyvvie said...

It never happened to me at all, so far as I remember but I was raised in New England and it wasn't the thing in the 80's. If it did happen it was probably while I was whispering to my friend and being obnoxious. Funny thing though, my HS biology teacher is a facebook friend.

heartinhand said...

I don't remember religion ever playing any sort of role in my education. There was a "World Religion" class that was an option, but I didn't take it. I was too busy having sex with boys I thought I loved and smoking.