Sunday, February 28, 2010

Imagination grows when the TV is off...

We have lazy kids. It's true. Sure they like to run about the house and be silly and play imaginative games with their toys, but they aren't outdoorsey, adventurous kids. I blame myself because I'm such a mother hen and I don't like them being where I can't watch them. Also I'm not as keen to go hang out at the play park while they have a run about...I should just bring my book and let them have a go, that's completely my failing. The kids are like me, but like me as I am now. I'm content at home puttering about. As a kid I was always outside, mostly on my own, but often kicked out and told not to come back for hours. I couldn't do that. there are kidnappers in the bushes, you see.

This weekend we turned off the TV because there was absolutely nothing worth watching. The kids, on a rare moment, Sassy in particular, went outside to play. In the garden. As padded up super heroes.

TV off, Imagination grows!TV off, Imagination grows!TV off, Imagination grows!

I love how Shorty has her beads and bangles coordinated with her outfit. They make me laugh.

In my defense, I do take them to other parks a couple times a week, and they get to play on the school climbing frames after school while I natter. I'm a good owner Mother!

5 comments:

jomamma said...

You are a good mom... It's sad we have to be so protective of our kids. Just play the 'what if' game with them and teach them how to defend against the unsavory elements in life. People ask me "don't you worry?" when they find out my kids are out on the open sea or back-packing all over Europe. Yeah I worry, but I know I taught them to take the time to learn about where they are going and what they are doing to be in these places. My girl was never a real outdoorsy type, but look at her now... climbing a 100ft. mast on a tall ship. Yours will make you proud some day, just you wait. Can't help but... they have a great Momma.

Brook said...

I'm right there with you. Sadly I know first hand plenty of bad stuff that can happen and have become the worst in overprotective motherdom. I work hard at letting go but it is HARD.

Roxrocks said...

My oldest was almost stolen from a front yard when she was about 4. I'm not shitting you. I played outside with my kids always. And I believed in them getting tons of fresh air, so I was outside all the damn time with them! Once, I almost tore myself in half doing a cartwheel competition with them (I won!) 21 cartwheels in a row. I'm still the champ. LOL!

Maja said...

They are so cute.

Nej said...

I remember being a kid, and wanted to stay inside and watch the soaps with my sitter, instead of playing outside. She'd kick me out, and tell me to come back in a couple of hours (the days of small town life before kidnappers I suppose). I'd just sit on the front steps, until she eventually let me back in to watch tv with her. Now I find myself deciding, at work, to NOT turn the tv on when I get home.....and then it ends up being the first thing that happens. (sigh)

The snow has finally melted, and it's lighter longer at night...I need to turn off that horrible contraption and get outside!!! :-)