Monday, December 07, 2009

So busy! I'm a bad blogger...

Lots of things going on just now - just as I'm sure they are with you all too. the season of busy, the fact my radio course finishes this week and I've been putting in lots of studio hours to improve and overcome my nerves - I think I've done it. Pretty much. Getting better all the time.

The big thing we've been doing this week and last week is news reading. Taking the "just in" stuff from Reuters, rewriting it and then reading it for the radio. The thing about rewriting news is you not only have to include the who,what, where, when, why and how but you also have to ciut all the fluff and go straight to the climax and conclusion - no build-up. Just shoot your wad and move on again. Isn't that a classy way of thinking of it? I've been practicing this because editing is always something that makes get headaches but since I didn't write the news, it's ok. I'm editing someone else's work and that makes me feel smug and superior. Even though I'm still not very good at it.

Other good news is I will get my driver's license next week. My USA one expired in 2005 but here in Australia, if you're license is not expired for more than 5 years then they'll just do the eye test, take your cash and voila! I get my license!! Suck on that one Scotland you punks! Failing my driver's test for cutting off a white van that most likely cut off 100 people before I'd crossed his path - you pussies! Australia loves me and says "Here Lyvvie! you can drive here and drive whatever takes your fancy, mate!" Love that. I called VIC Roads (the equivalent of the DMV) and asked them and got all the info and even had a New Yorker on the phone! Small world. I go in next Wednesday, we'll see how my picture turns out before I share.

Finally, we passed by this church on Saturday and the sign caught my attention...

Burwood Uniting Church with kind of creepy sign.

...now i don't know about you, but my first reaction was to think they were inviting me in to have the baby Jesus wipe my butt. What about you? Did you make the Change the Baby/Baby Change You connection? Not to mention the slightly odd shining star spearing the baby on the altar in its manger with golden blood spurts and everything. Nice image. Can we add this to Fail blog?

Ok...just spent a stupid amount of time over at failblog.

10 comments:

tornwordo said...

Now I'm curious about the side of the road they drive on. Is it like in Scotland or the US?

Nej said...

I didn't even think about the baby changing/change the baby thing...but now that you mention it, I can't read that sign any other way. :-)

Lyvvie said...

Aussies drive on the left, like in the UK.

Nej - it's a weird sign, to be sure.

gsweaver said...

It's about time!! Now you will have to get a car for yourself.

Dingo said...

I didn't see the top part of the sign and just saw a changing table and "the baby change you." I've heard of having your animals blessed at church but I'd never heard of having a baby change your undies before.

Northern musings said...

I loved my VIC roads drivers license - best photo ever!! Hope yours is as good.

Sylvana said...

You're a bad blogger? I'M A BAD BLOGGER!! I haven't visited your blog in so long I missed your whole radio class!

And yes, I nearly spit coffee out my nose when I saw that picture. I was totally imagining the baby Jesus wiping my butt. I thought that the star looked a little weird, but I didn't figure out why before I read your take - YES! THAT'S IT! The star of Bethlehem is impaling the baby Jesus - that man had a rough life. Always getting stabbed n-stuff.

Lyvvie said...

Thanks for the support, Mom!!

"Sweet Baby Jesus...I've shat myself - the aloe wipes are under the sink." Even I find that rather disrespectful.

So far, of the 2 licenses I've had, the pictures have been pretty ok. Not glamorous, but not fugly either. Fingers crossed for a good hair day next Wed.

Sylv! Dinnae fash yersel. Are you on Facebook like your charming husband? Get linked up and we can stalk each other much easier.

Rox said...

I've been a bad blogger too. Ugh, whattayagonnado?!

Your mom reads this?!

Lyvvie said...

Yeah, she pops in looking for pictures of her grandkids. I keep pointing her to flickr, but maybe she does read it just to keep in touch.