Thursday, November 05, 2009

Roller Coaster of Life

Let me start off, for those who don't already know, by saying that I fell off my brand new scooter on Monday and sprained my wrist and elbow. that was a great day. We were in the ER for 8 hours. Bring me back the NHS, please! But at least nothing was broken. I had pretty much assumed I had broken my wrist seeing as I'd done it twice before (granted, as a child once at 5 then again at 7, but if felt like yesterday) and it felt just the same.

Class is rather tough, especially for me as I don't know all the local stuff and I'm having to put in extra hours learning all the radio stations, which ones play to what demographic, which are government run and which are commercial. Right now it's a foreign language where thy just talk numbers and letters at me. I imagine foreigner coming to America would be equally confused about the K/W thing for radio stations (K is west of the Mississippi, W is east....at least that was what I what told) but still, when moving anywhere, you have to reaccustom yourself. UK was easier because there wasn't so much variety, at least not until they went digital and then the flood gates opened and there were hundreds to choose from but then they had blurbs like RainbowFM was GBLT, Shaddi was Indian music, etc. and it was part of the signal to get a description. I don't get that here. I've got to figure out the difference between 3AW, JJJ, Nova and FoxFM (Fox is epidemic out here. They run the cable and have the top radio station. It's nauseating.) and then there's the community radio to try and understand and my timescale is limited. (I'm listening while typing via live stream)

We took some time over the weekend to drive down to the Mornington Peninsula and went to a couple of beaches, watched surfers and enjoyed the sunshine (got a bit pink on the back of my neck) and played in the surf a bit. The kids had a blast. They'd never been allowed in the water at Scotland because it's not clean enough, full of glass or sharp stones and just unpleasant for waders. Other people had no problem with it, but I think when you share your beach with washed up baby wipes and tampons, it's best not to risk it. No such issue here - didn't see one tampon. We did see some cool tide pools, and a rock that was full of fossils which may have been an old coral. It was foggy on one side of the peninsula so we'll have to go back again and see it again on a brighter day.

I need to practice my celebrity news skills. I'm not overjoyed about this, but stats say women aged 24-39 are most interested in celeb news than anything else by a far margin. Women! Cut it out already. Celebs are just people. But no joy for me, I have to do it because if it's what people want then I have to blend and mingle in the shallow pool. Wish me luck and sanity.

6 comments:

Overboard said...

What are you studying, Lyvvie? I must have missed something.
p.s The beach sounds lovely. Your kids are so lucky to have escaped the UK.

northern musings said...

Better the Mornington Peninsula than St Kilda Bay beach - I could never stomach the thought of swimming there.... spoiled by the beaches in WA...

Overboard said...

I agree with Sigga, even though I've never been to New Zealand.

jomamma said...

Jolea went to some beach there with huge waves and loads of surfers... I can't remember which it was but you could email her and ask. She'd spend days there. joleacruzan@yahoo.com

I'm proud of you going back to school, no matter what you are learning. Good luck with that, you'll get it and you'll be a sensation... they'll be drawn to your personality, like we are.

Lyvvie said...

It's a radio broadcasting course. I originally thought I'd give podcasting a try and wanted the skillz, but the radio course is making me think radio is actually within my reach.

Northern Musings - What's wrong with St. Kilda Beach?? I was there a couple weeks ago and thought it was lovely. WAIT - there's a St, Kilda in NZ too? - so confused now. I didn't notice any tampons or floaters in the water but if you know something I don't you're obligated to share! I'm not dipping my toes in sewerage. UGH!! Getting palpitations at the thought.


There are lots and lots of beaches. Nice proper ones. I don't quite count Cape Cod as proper beaches because they are oddly tidal and there are no big waves (Then again I was always more Capeside than ocean side on the isthmus.) But I did swim in the Pacific once when I was 15 and it was wonderful. Proper ocean swimming is wonderful.

northern musings said...

Well.... when I used to live in melbourne a century ago there were a lot of needles and stuff in the sand along the st Kilda shoreline. I also found it really too congested for my liking - so many kids - so little wave movement - so much pee and other stuff in the water... eewww.. better further down the coast - ocean side where currents and waves keep things moving - but hey that's just me and it was last century and I did move there from Perth...