Thursday, November 19, 2009

Free Day

Thursday is now my free day. The wind down after the Wednesday night. It went pretty well last night, I got some good feedback on my radio technique. I'm still not coming across in a natural way, and I'm speaking way too fast at the same speed. Although there's voice fluctuation, there's no pace fluctuation. During my reading I didn't make one mistake...until the end when I kept pushing the end button instead of the start button to play the last song. I've got it down as to when to talk over the end and beginning of songs - something which used to bug the shit out of me as a teen who would tape songs off the radio and not want the damned DJ talking over the song, but we're supposed to do it. I guess it's to stop people doing just that - stop recording off the radio. If folks want the song, they should just go buy it, but tell that to a 12 year old who doesn't get an allowance.

Next week's assignment is I have to record an hour of radio and transcribe the formats. Each of us has a different station to listen to (I got Vega 91.5, which you can listen to online. although it's not a top station. We're to choose a time between 10am-4pm. Here's my problem: I don't have a cassette recorder! I can't figure out how to record live stream radio on the Mac and GRRR! Who owns cassettes anymore? I'm going to have to pop out and buy a cheap radio cassette recorder just to do my homework. I'll have another go at trying to find a program for the Mac, because most of them are free and would make life much easier, but if I've not found one by the weekend, then I'm going to have to buy an outdated POS cassette recorder.

Not that I'm some kind of technology geek. I only found out last night my mobile phone has a radio tuner in it. How cool is that?!

My friend Jill sent me an E-mail asking me a Four Thing Meme but I didn't fancy forwarding it on to tons of folks, so I thought I'd post it here, and anyone who wanted to play along could put there answers in the comments.

Four places I go Regularly: School, Grocery store, playground, garden.

Four Favourite Smells: Baking bread, fresh coffee, jasmine*, lily of the valley*

Four Favourite TV Shows: Glee, Border Patrol (Australia Airport customs show. In the UK it's called Nothing To Declare), CSI, Samantha Who?

Four People Who'll Respond: This is a wasted question. I'm going to make a new one instead.

Four Favourite Place to be: Lakeside (any lake will do so long as it's free of man-eating beasts), Campfire, City center at X-mas just as it goes dark and the lights come on, busy café with chatty friends.

*The real plant not fake scents.

I feel like I have a cold coming on. It's going to be hot and stormy for the next few days and I'm wiped out. But I have to go and get this radio and something for dinner. Onward!!

2 comments:

jomamma said...

Check the resale shops, just take a load of batteries with you to see it the player works before you buy it.

OK, if Taylor Swift wins the Entertainer of the Year award at the CMAs then 12 year old girls do get allowance money.... 12 to 16 yr olds run the music business... they are the ones who call the radio stations. At least in the US.

Rox said...

I had so many mixed tapes as a tween that had the very beginning and the very end of the songs chopped off! In fact, it wasn't until a few years ago that I actually even heard the end of Heat of the Moment by Asia! Haha!

My four favorite smells are: Coffee, cinnamon (or spicy) candles, Johnson's pink baby lotion, and fresh baked bread.