Friday, September 25, 2009

Busy mind

I went to bed rather early to read a bit and fell asleep around 10:30. I was woken up sometime after 1:00 by Husband getting in and out of bed although that's not uncommon, or perhaps he was just getting to bed as he'd stayed up later than I did. For some reason, I was sleepily aware of the heavy rain outside that was pounding down on the roof. I have become used to this by now, the rain is pretty loud on the tin roof and it's somewhat exciting as opposed to annoying. What was annoying was my mind in its sleepy wandering was trying to define the rain; was it a pouring rain? No that's not quite strong enough. Driving rain? No there's no wind to drive the rain. Pelting rain? No there are no projectiles like hail or frogs in the rain to pelt down. I began to be more awake trying to scan my "words that go with rain" phrase book. Then my mind said I was cracking up and should go to sleep. Cracking up. Like a crackpot. But what is a "crackpot"? A pot for crack? That can't be right. There's the old phrase about the cracked pot that can't hold its water (or pee as I believe it was meant to be a chamber pot but I can't find proof of that.) and that would make sense as a "crackpot theory" won't hold up, or hold water, under scrutiny. So why don't we say "Crackedpot"? Besides sounding a bit strange it makes the better sense, but isn't it interesting how time has managed to morph the phrase down to into one word, crackpot, where when you look at it on its own it makes no sense.

Then I was a bit more awake and was thinking about the Ray Comfort story I saw recently where he's taking advantage of Darwin's Origin of Species coming out of copyright and reprinted it with his own 50 page introduction where Ray tells us about Darwin's misogyny, racism and how Hitler used Evolution Theory to further his regime. Which brought me around again to my futile attempts to understand how Ray got to be Ray and he says that we can be saved by accepting Jesus into our hearts and it's that vague, bland turn of phrase of taking something into our hearts that stumps me every time. It so ambiguous to me I simply cannot comprehend what he's talking about...

At which point I had to tell myself, for fuck sake it's nearly 2:00 in the morning will you shut the fuck up and go to sleep? And of course I couldn't, so I'm blogging instead. I may go get a cup of decaff tea and try sleep again soon.

Thanks for listening.


Pounding rain. That works. I answered myself at the beginning and didn't even notice, arg.

If you have no idea what I'm on about with Ray Comfort then watch this...



Isn't she hot! That's so sexist of me but OMG she's hot. Even I want to cuddle with her.

**Edited in the morning because I, in my wee hours' mind, managed to have skipped out important words and sentences that make the paragraphs flow easier. Also to say that once I did go to bed at about 4:10am, I was so damned cold I had to put a fleece on. Then I was still so cold, I needed a hat - and changed my pillow because I couldn't get comfortable yet I didn't want to jostle about much or I'd wake husband. So I got up and went to the ensuite, grabbed my hoodie, then put that on under the fleece and had a hood to keep the icy air from dripping into my ear - which is what it felt like before the hoodie. So that was me, in Australia, wearing a long sleeve shirt, socks, a hoodie and a fleece jacket and then I fell asleep. For 3.5 hours.

8 comments:

Brook said...

I'm glad you couldn't sleep so you could post this. I love it! Now go to sleep!

Nej said...

That guy looks like Matthew Perry. It's the first thing I thought when he came on screen, and now I can't stop thinking it. :-)

jomamma said...

I'm glad you have an ever running brain, because I love reading your rants and going-ons about such diverse things. But I also feel for you because of the lack of sleep... My sleep is precious not only to me but to everyone in the house. They guard it more closely than me, because they will in the end reap the results of not enough sleep for Mom.

jomamma said...

BTW... she is hot, with that CFM hair.

Rox said...

Pissing rain. That's the term you're looking for. =)

(Going to watch the video now!)

Rox said...

Boolshit! I love the way she says it!

Who takes spiritual advice from Mike Seever, anyway? Oh wait...

The Coffee Lady said...

I don't think she's hot. I think she's bright, and all that, but not hot.

Have you seen her other video where you can see her ironing board propped up in the corner?

That's about as intellectual as I get, sadly.

Sy said...

DITTO! On all accounts.

I am so sick of the Christians in this country running around calling foul because they are being stopped from stomping on others' rights to their own beliefs. They say that everyone believes in what Christians believe in so we should run our country accordingly - but that is so obviously not true.
Ugh!! This is part of the reason I HATE CHRISTMAS!!!
Going off to fume now...