Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Oh shit...

We walk to school each morning and every morning there are seed pods all over the pavements. I can't tell which tree they come from, but the pods are only under trees. The older ones are dried and scatter their seeds while the more recent ones look brown and soggy. We didn't pay them much attention.

Then I thought to myself yesterday...are these things poops? Can't be. Not like a bird poop, too small and plentiful for cats. Nah, can't be a poop.

Well, it seems that yes, they are. Possum poop to be exact. About the size and shape of a giants rat's poop. So we've been treading through shit every morning.

So, it gets better. I didn't know we had possums in the area (which is dumb in hindsight as I live right next to a huge park) but suddenly thought about how the oranges we'd picked from the tree in the garden (and left on the ground) had been eaten. I thought it was the birds but after a bit of reading, it seems we've been feeding the possums. Oddly enough, they don't go for the fruits on the tree (and there are tons of oranges on the tree just now but all a bit past edible for us) but if we pick and drop them, those are quickly scarffed up. In fact this morning I noticed a littering of peels under the eucalyptus tree.

I may have accidentally made myself an unpopular neighbor by feeding the vermin, as it seems possums are a notorious house pest. One thing I read that's used as a possum deterrent is garlic. Possums have a very sensitive sense of smell and they don't like garlic. Well wouldn't you know, the other day I was hanging laundry and did notice a strong smell of garlic and thought someone was making a potent dinner. I'm now thinking, one of my neighbors may not be too pleased about a possum in our midst.

We'll just keep that between us.


No more treading in the possum poop, either.

15 comments:

jomamma said...

LOL, isn't it fun learning about the new wildlife in your hood. I once unknowingly had a pack of coyotes living out behind the house, because if I burned something while cooking I just chucked it out the backdoor. Hubby kept saying "you'll attract unwanted guest that way." One day there was nothing but the screen door between a huge coyote and I.

They make some beautiful Possum yarn in Oz.

Dingo said...

At least you didn't bring the "pods" inside to make some sort of natural sculpture for the coffee table.

Rox said...

This post made me chuckle! Poop stories are universal and timeless.

Victoria said...

Oh, totally! We have them too (I recently moved to the suburbs).

I didn't know. I had no idea.

We also have racoons and the occassional deer (which I think is fantastic and "so wonderful" Walt Disneyesque - but the neighbors don't at all agree).

How is this possible? We are but ten minutes away from the city?

Anyway, I have to catch up on your blog. Doing that right now..

Ree said...

Snort. We have that problem with Canada geese. ;-) In the winter, our sidewalks are covered in "poopsicles".

And I promise not to tell your neighbors.

Overboard said...

Why not juice the oranges? p.s Funny story.

Overboard said...

LOL Jomamma!

jomamma said...

Well they do!

Lyn Cash said...

omg - you should have issued a spew alert. I HAVE MISSED YOU. gave you some space but now am back to reading blogs.

hope you like your new location.

geezus. possum poop. who'd-a-thunk it?

trinity67 said...

Oh that's hilarious - your walking through poop and then inadvertantly feeding the pests! Don't feel so bad as I would've done the same thing on both accounts. Maybe just plant some garlic - it might ward them off and who doesn't like fresh garlic!

Nej said...

So....Dracula is a direct descendant of a possum? Or the other way around? :-)

tornwordo said...

Too bad you didn't taste them! That would have been highlarious.

Maja said...

Just wait until you get a possum in your ceiling.

Sy said...

But they are so cute!! Then again, I don't much like our squirrels and would never think to feed them because they are such pests -- like chewing on our house!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the sweet parrots lady... you look great, but a wee bit scared. ;)

Love and miss you! ~Jill :)