Monday, July 27, 2009

First day of school in Australia.

Sassyface went off into the great unknown for the second time in her life. Although this time she was was trying her best to be invisible. Kids were smiling and waving at her, having remembered her from the couple times they'd sen her on our walkthroughs the school, but she blanked them and kept her head down. You'd think she was going to the gallows. I kept telling her, no matter how worried you are, hold your head high and smile and no one will know you're nervous. Meanwhile her sister was parading through the school as if she was the Queen, waving to everyone. How did I raise two diametrically opposite people? I know Sassy will loosen up and feel better by the end of the day, but I just wish she would view new experiences and people with interest and curiosity and not fear and loathing. Then again, being cautious and blowing in headlong is good too. She'll figure it all out. I juts don't want a phone call from the school asking me to come and calm her down. No panic attacks today please. Although, she started off with the right expression.

First Day of New School 003First Day of New School 005

Can you believe she's now spent half of her life in school? I wish I had my proper computer as I'd show you a first day of school picture from first grade.

We sat in on the morning assembly which was a time to catch up on notices for students and parents. The entire school fit into a small gymnasium - student body is around 280 kids. Sassy's class has 23. I hope she'll find that a positive change as her previous school had over 700 kids on a schoolground roughly the same size. The choir stood up and sang a few Abba songs which was a tad surreal because we all pick on Australia and it's love of Abba. We'll also have to learn the Australian National Anthem which isn't waltzing Matilda...at least that's not what they sang. Someone told me a fib along the way. But the lyrics are:

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.


So of course what stuck out for me reading that is the line: Our home is girt by sea. What does that mean? Was it a typo? Well no, it's a rarely used word that is the past participle of gird, meaning to encircle or surround. I found a humorous article about it. You learn all sort on my blog.

I haven't really talked to any neighbors nor did I talk to any of the parents at the school this morning. All things in time. Let our faces be recognised a few times and then reach out. Always with a smile. I know the local shop keepers best just now. I'm content.

I really love that we get to watch Sesame Street. None of that in the UK and how woeful! I love Sesame Street. The kids now love Sesame Street. We are Street folk.

I am joyful that my iMac will be arriving on Wednesday. I have so missed my beloved 24inch screen. Also arriving will be a small amount of kitchen doodads that will be a big help as I have one pan and one frypan. Another will be welcomed warmly. My steamer arrives too, although I still don't have a microwave.

Forgot to photograph the bento this morning. Damn.


Tired now, but off to make scones.

13 comments:

Brook said...

First days were something we experienced nearly every year-in my 12 years of public education here in the states I went to 13 different schools. It can be done!

Dingo said...

You sound so happy and excited about this new phase for all of you. Sassy just has the first day jitters. You'll have those soon enough when you go meet the other mums.

jomamma said...

Oh Brook, you'd make a wonderful school counselor!

Sassy looks so cute in her uniform, that's one good thing about this first day, all the kids look the same in uniforms. No one turning their nose up at the outfit you are wearing.

Don't you remember the phase 'girt your loins'? or 'to girt a horse'? Interesting article, yes I always learn something from your blog.

Rox said...

Second child syndrome. That's why your youngest is so confident.

I love the school uniform! It's very green. It looks like she's going camping!

Amy said...

Sassy is such a cutie in that uniform!! I was like her-shy at first-then later would relax and enjoy myself. She will be fine. Just keep telling her how wonderful she is!

Overboard said...

Poor kid's going to be scared for life after having to wear that horrendous school uniform. Sassy, I hear your pain.

Ree said...

I hope she found lots of new friends on her first day.

xxoo

tornwordo said...

It's still JULY for chrissakes. Oh wait that means it's winter. Is it cold? How long is school down under anyway? Loved the girt article.

Overboard said...

Show us y'er skort!! Evil roar.

Nej said...

Sassy and I could be twins.....well, not physically (she's MUCH cuter)...but we'd be twins in how we deal with new people and new places. I have to force myself to go in headstrong and confident...when I really just want a Harry Potter invisibility cloak to hide under!!! :-)

Sy said...

Aw! She looks adorable! She seemed to me to want to be an inform socializer. She will sit and observe, assessing a situation, then once she has enough information, she will reach out in a meaningful manner.

And I understand the hats - there is a huge hole in the ozone right over Australia.

Maja said...

Shorty sounds hilarious, and Sassy will get there. It sounds like a good little school.

Chick said...

I always hates 1st days in new schools myself...I'm sure your girls will end up loving it...what cute green uniforms they have.