Saturday, June 27, 2009

Where I get my Bitch on...

It was 5:30 on Friday dusk when I was pondering starting dinner and shouting at the kids to please shut up and stop screaming all the damned time even in pretend, when the phone rang. Grrr! Damned phone! It'll be a fucking telemarketer the fuckers, and I'm on that don't call me list and everything, but when I looked, it was a real number, not withheld.

Me: Hello. (I never ask in a question because I know there's someone there...)
Man: May I speak with Husband please?
Me: I'm sorry, he's unavailable, can I help you?
Man: *click*

Motherfucker just hung up on me.

1471 is the number we dial to get the last number that called us, so 1471 I dial, would you like me to connect you? Oh yes please...

It was the credit card company. Bastards! So I go through their pushbutton tomdickery (I'm an account holder too so use my details) and get a person...

Man: Good afternoon, can I confirm your post code.

Me: Sure go ahead...

Man: No, can you tell me your post code. (So I tell him) And your date of birth, please. (I tell him) And the first line of you...

Me: You know it doesn't really matter as I'm calling to make a complaint and not with a query on my account. Someone from this number just called my house asking for my husband and when I said he wasn't available, the person hung up on me.

Man: Oh, uhm. Sorry?

Me: That's not good enough. Is this common practice to hang up on people, now? Was it too hard to say "Thank you very much, goodbye." Is it part of your training to rudely terminate the call?

Man: Well no, but we are on tight time constraints...

Me: How long does it take to say thank you and goodbye? I am a customer as well, I hold an account with you and I'm extremely dissatisfied to find this is how you treat customers. I'd like to speak to your manager.

Man: Well she's gone home for the...

Me: You aren't trying to tell me you're left with no duty manager, are you?

Man: uhm...

Me: Is this call being recorded?

Man: Yes, we record all calls.

Me: Then I want your manager to hear this because there's obviously a need for a refresh in your team's training if you have staff who find it acceptable to just hang up on customers they sought out to speak to in the first place. Not to mention, but I'm going to, that it's not acceptable to leave a team of service center staff unmanaged. Have you logged my complaint?

Man: Yes maam, as we're talking. But, let me explain we can't talk to anyone but the account holder...

Me: I understand the Data Protection Act perfectly well, and I know exactly why the agent was calling and what transactions he was questioning (Airplane tickets to Oz will have tripped their charge limit and he was calling to verify it was our charge) however that does not excuse his extremely rude behavior. I appreciate it was not yourself that did this and I am not angry with you personally, but at this situation we've both found ourselves. I will like to have your name please, and I'll expect a follow up call from a supervisor by Wednesday and If I don't get one, I'm calling back. (He gives me his name.)

Man: Ok. My apologies. Have a good afternoon.


When did they call back? 8:30 Saturday morning. 8 fucking 30!! I was up of course, but still!! People sleep in on a Saturday. Don't think I didn't singe his ear hair with a rant about that as well.

The whole mess has been resolved. But I'm closing my account with them once I've moved and have a replacement card. Between you and me, I had planned on doing that anyway - but we won't tell them this, now will we.

6 comments:

Rox said...

Nothing frosts my cupcakes worse than a company "snubbing" the wife! High five for the way you dealt with these asshats! And a big old one fingered salute to the asshats!

Goddamn it.

tornwordo said...

How irritating! Good for you singeing his ear.

Amy said...

Good for you!!! I love you for calling those jerks back....rudeness in so unnecessary. You told him!!

I also am addicted to BB in FB...it is such a great escape.

Jill :) said...

Great job lady. ;)

Sylvana said...

That's fantastic! You handled that perfectly.

When we went overseas last year (when we visited you) they kept shutting our card down. They were calling our home phone instead of the new cell phone that we had given them. And whenever we made a purchase, no matter how mundane, they considered it suspicious, even though we had notified them that we would be overseas and exactly where we were going in each country! We were PISSED!! Especially since we would be in the middle of nowhere and be told that our card wouldn't work and the card company's damn international collect number was essentially useless!

Michelle said...

That was WONDERFUL! Everything I wish I could say in such a situation, but never manage to.

And nothing bitchy about it — you were in command, intelligent and in the right. You go, girl.