Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Get Chills

When I hear this song. I don't know why certain songs give me this very strong physical response. Barbara Streisand does it for me too in Funny Girl. I'll listen and then swirls of chill will run up along my spine, through the middle of my shoulders to the base of my neck my and over my scalp, collarbones, race across my forearms and down my shins. Goosebumps will rise on my arms and shoulders and then my nipples erect and I'm pretty sure my hair will stand up as goose flesh too. It can range from gentle and barely there to painful enough that I have to run the taut skin down. Ever get goose-pimples so fast and hard it hurts?

I wonder if it's chordal dissonance thing. I wonder if it's an endorphin thing. I wonder if it's a fucked up brain thing.

I can even think of the music and evoke a skin response.



I keep hoping she'll get through the slower passages and start banging that piano again.

Anyone have a song that makes this happen to them?

8 comments:

Overboard said...

Yeah, I get uber goosebumps when my lover bites my neck.
Tee hee.
I love it.

Nej said...

I do!!! But I can't think of one right now. How frustrating is that??? :-) :-)

But I will admit, listening to....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbJtYqBYCV8

....stirs a little somethin' in me every time. I can't help it.

Overboard said...

Okay, I get goosebumps when I listen to the Japanese anthem. I am not kidding. I love it.
It's the only song that gives me goosebumps, even though I love so many songs.

NWJR said...

Joan Jett always gets my nipples hard, but I'm not sure how much is the music and how much is Joan Jett.

That isn't really what you're asking, is it?

sideshow bob said...

Rock Lobster!

Lyvvie said...

I get them with neck nibbles too, but to get that kind of response from something auditory, non-physical apart from sound waves striking the ear drum and setting off the chain reaction of sound that leads to the physical response...which sound? Which one does that? The bang of the drum? the strings...possibly the strings. The piano for certain but then which chords work and which ones don't - combination get better responses? I'm trying to look at this all scientific-like, you ken.

Delilah will get me on the thighs a bit but only when the strings pip in. Great song.

Is it weird I judge my X-Factor/American Idol favourites on my goose-bump response?

I get nothing from Joan Jett. But I do occasionally from The White Stripes.

I do get the B-52's, as harmonies definitely have an affect. Although the Beach Boys are a fail. Go figure.

sarah said...

i love ingrid michaelson the way i am.. love the love story in the song...this wasnt bad either ;) thanks for sharing
sarah

Roxrocks said...

The Phantom of the Opera does it to me. There's more but that's the one that comes to mind.