Sunday, December 21, 2008

Palmiers

My creation

I cheated to make this classic French biscuit. I use ready made, ready-rolled puff pastry because it's vegan friendly which means my daughter with the food allergies will be able to enjoy these.

I took a bowl and added a cup of granulated sugar, a tbs of cinnamon and a tbs of ground ginger. then I unrolled the pastry, lifted the pastry off the blue sheet and covered the sheet with half of the sugar. Put the pastry back on the sheet and put half of the remaining sugar across the top of the pastry. Use a rolling pin to gently roll the sugar into the pastry.

Begin to fol the pastry by folding the two long edges into the middle. then fold the two long edged into the middle again. Finally sprinkle the remaining sugar along the middle of this crease, and then fold over to have one long log.

Cut in 3/4 to one inch slices and rub the slices into the loose sugar to cover the cut edges, and then place on a baking sheet covered in baking parchment.

Put into a hot oven (450F/230C) for about 6-7 minutes or until the sugar has begun to brown and caramelise, then take them out of the oven and turn over. Put back into the oven and cook for a further 6 minutes or until equally brown.

Mine came out very well, but the ones in the corners of the baking sheet began to burn a little bit - but still edible. These took a total of 30 minutes to make. Brilliant, easy and good.

4 comments:

jomamma said...

Yum! Or should I say Yum-o! and talk with my hands.

Maja said...

I love a bit of pastry with sugar and cinnamon!

Brook said...

Hey there! Now I have been inspired to try and recreate a cookie(not a palmier,rather a pecan spinwheel)that I adored at a jewish bakery that closed when their kids didn't want to take it over. Years and years have passed but I have never forgotten those cookies, or the bread, or the soup or...maybe I should go get started before my keyboard shorts out from the drool!

Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

Bearly Christmas LV!

HUGS