Friday, December 05, 2008

Are we normal again, yet?

Getting there maybe. Husband is home and there are remnants of his presence left everywhere. He will protest quite vehemently that he isn't messy, but when the amount of dirty dishes doubled, no spoons left in the cutlery drawer, a pile of possibly dirty- possibly next day wearable clothes at the foot of the bed and the shelf in the bathroom covered in manstuff, he's not invisible.

I go some of my perfume samples from Les Scentures yesterday and that's exciting! So far I like the smell of the caps on all of them, but I'll have to give each a try over the next couple weeks.

Today I tried Musc Maori by Parfumerie Generale, and doesn't that sound like a dark heady scent? Maori musk. I had images of the New Zealand Rugby team doing their Haka. Can you imagine the energy, strength, determination, intimidation and tension of those moments captured in a scent? I was very interested in this, it must be powerful scent. Well it's not. Not even a little bit. In fact when I first smelled it I said "It's a toffee." and for the first few moments I did smell like a fresh, hot buttery sweet toffee. Ever melt butter in a pan with sugar and vanilla? Go do that now and then you'll know how I smelled when I first applied this. Then after a few moments it mellowed and turned into eggnog. Gently spiced, very yummy, but still eggnog. An hour after I applied it, it softened further into a fairly generic vanilla powdered musk scent and it's lingered about like that for the rest of the day. It pretty much disappeared six hours later where I'm left smelling only faintly of vanilla sugar cookie. The musk is very light and more the white musk than animalic. Even now, it's evaporated off my skin but a bit still clings to my sweater's cuff, it's creamy vanilla. So any New Zealanders reading this want to explain to me why Maoris smell of sugar cookies? Just doesn't fit the image I had in my head. Maybe there's a Women's Rugby team in New Zealand and they smell of home baking?

I'm trying to teach myself how to do cryptic crosswords. I've always avoided them because, dammit they're weird! But I must not fear the weird. It's just that every question is a puzzle in itself and if you don't know how to solve them you're pretty much buggered. Even with some help, it's still hard. I've bought a newspaper each day and done as much as I can - not much, but the answers are in the following day so I can finish with a cheat sheet. So I've been learning that a lot of them are anagrams, or the answer is hidden in the clue but others are like any crossword clue; the maker pulled the answer out of his ass.

I've not heard mice for two nights running. Tuesday night I only head the faintest of gnawing but nothing that kept me up. I don't want to jinx it, but I think they're finally gone. I'll have Husband take me to the hardware store to get some traps so if they come back while he's away again I'll be able to set up the ladder and take of it myself and not pay £45 per call out for the exterminator. Although the thought of teetering at the top of a ladder at the top of a flight of stairs doesn't appeal.

The kids keep asking me to bake cookies, any recipes you guys want to recommend?

OH! I'm very excited about the upcoming Christmas special blogbook:

THE ITALIAN-GOURMET-BABY-FOOD BARON’S IRONICALLY PREGNANT MISTRESS!

Aren't you all-a-tingle in anticipation?!

6 comments:

jill said...

I have keep the recipe long enough. These are the best, most killer cookies EVER. I am adored by work buddies because of this recipe and I have never given up the source. The recipe yields about 36-40 good sized cookies and are best if cooked for 9 minutes- max. I hope you enjoy them! :)

Sidebar; apparently it has been too long since I have signed into my blog- it doesn't recognize my login! :(
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/grammys-chocolate-cookies?autonomy_kw=grammy's%20chocolate&rsc=header_1

Ree said...

That book sounds intriguing. ;-)

Jomamma said...

We may be making soft chewy molasses cookies this weekend... check the blogs.

tornwordo said...

That haka thing. Reminds me that we are after all just animals.

Roxrocks said...

I need to bake some cookies and squares too. I'll send you some recipes when I get to my cookbook!

Yay hubby's home! Someone got laid, right?

trinity67 said...

Coincidentally enough I'm planning on baking cookies tonight and this is the recipe I'm going to try. They're called Neiman-Marcus cookies because the story goes that a woman bought a cookie from Neiman-Marcus and instead of charging her $2.50 per cookie the waitress rang through $250.00 and when the woman complained the accounting department told her there was nothing they could do so she told them that she would send the recipe to anyone and everyone she knew. Or something like that. Anyhow it looked like a really good recipe (albeit a bit large but you can always halve the ingredients) so here you go! Let me know how it turns out!

NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES
(Recipe may be halved)

Ingredients:
2 cups butter
24 oz chocolate chips
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups white sugar
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
5 cups of quick oatmeal
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Method:
1. Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder – set aside.
2. Cream butter, adding both sugars gradually.
3. Add eggs and then the vanilla.
4. Mix in flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda.
5. Add chocolate chips, grated Hershey bar and nuts.
6. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
8. Makes 112 cookies.

Enjoy!