Thursday, November 27, 2008

That's not right...

I'm not planning any kind of big thanksgiving meal, as it's just the kids and I. But I figured what's the harm in making a few nice things. So I have turkey breast steaks and potato wedges so I thought I'd make some stuffing balls with bacon wrapped sausages and a cornbread/biscuit thing. I have no recipe for a cornbread/biscuit thing so I started a search.

I found this recipe and thought, Hey that sounds easy and it's different way of making biscuits:

Bonfire Biscuits

These are called Bonfire Biscuits because they are great to eat standing around the bonfire on bonfire night!

Ingredients

6 oz vegan margarine
1 tbsp syrup
1 cup of each of plain flour, sugar, dessicated coconut, oats
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water

Method

Melt the marg and syrup in a saucepan. Mix in the dry ingredients. Add bicarb and water.

Place 6 or 8 teaspoonfuls of the mixture on an ungreased tray and bake at gas mark 3, 170C until golden (10 to 15 mins). Cool slightly and remove to cooling rack.

Repeat until all the mixture has been used.


So I have all the ingredients which is a bonus. I changed it a wee bit by cutting the sugar and coconut in half and instead of oatmeal I used cornmeal.

Smarter bakers than I may already be laughing.

Not The Biscuits I wanted.

These are not biscuits! These are cookies! Fucking Brits and their twisted language. I hate falling for this. I wasn't even aware it was a UK site or I'd have twigged earlier. And I kept telling myself, "That's a lot of fat and sugar for biscuits..." and honestly, they are sweet enough with my alterations that if I'd used the full recipe as was I'd be in a sugar coma, or running naked in the rain from the sugar high.

As a cookie they're pretty nice though!

6 comments:

Overboard said...

Ahahhakfadslkfjsadkfljasdkflasjdkfasd.
That is too funny.
The momentum of this post just built and then wham!
Toooooo funny.
By the way, last year, towards the beginning, I thought I was the star of a reality show. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
I need to write a book about last year.
fjdsklfjskafjasklfjasl

Overboard said...

p.s
I'm going to do my roots this weekend.

Jomamma said...

But Lyv... don't they call cookies biscuits in Jolly Old? I'd send you some Pillsbury 'wack' biscuits if I could.

Maria I was talking to Jody about your roots just last night.

Roxrocks said...

What the hell is vegan margarine?! Also, what in the hell is dessicated coconut?! You had the ingredients?!

This is why I give up cooking. It's too complicated. :)

Lyvvie said...

OB - You are the star of a reality show, I saw you in the bath just last night. OOPS! (must set reminder to watch how she does her roots)

Judith - Yes they call cookies biscuits here, but as I didn't know it was a UK site and I really wanted a gravy soaking biscuit I overlooked the obvious signs I was making a mistake.

Roxy - Vegan margarine is always in my fridge because of Shorty's allergies. She loves toast and jam. It's a soy based margarine with no milk or butter anything. It's actually quite nice for all it sounds vile. Dessicated just means fine shred. I keep that to put on my oatmeal.

Cooking is easy, I'd show you how laid-back a cook I am if I could.

Jomamma said...

I'm going to send you some recipes for biscotti and Ranch Biscuits.