Monday, November 17, 2008

My kid is awesome...

Clumsy, but awesome. I got called by the school not twenty minutes after dropping her off that she'd fallen and hurt herself. They said she cried a little but calmed down quickly and just seemed a little demure about it. I asked if they thought I should come and get her and they said they didn't know. Shorty wasn't crying for me and had gone back to play in a less excitable state. I said let her stay then. I kind of wish I'd been a bit more overprotective Mom because when I picked her up I was a bit shocked to see her injury.

Thick ear

The whole ear is purple, swollen and the bruising extends down the back of her ear an over her head. She has a line of bruising along her cheek from the edge of the table she fell onto. I immediately thought, Shit - she could have a concussion! I phoned the doctor's office and told them I was coming in and if they could please find someone to check her over. I've seen enough CSI to know folks can walk away with head injuries and die hours later. At least that was the movie playing in my mind.

The GP was unsure and gave me a note to take with me to the accident and emergency. I had to go to the bank to get cash because I'd come out without my bag and had nothing but my phone on me. Cash and a phone, I called a taxi and bought a small lunch from the grocery store. We were lucky the A&E was empty and Shorty was seen quickly. Three consultants and an hour and a half later we were let go with advice to watch for vomiting and dizziness and to give her calpol (the standard children's painkiller).

She was so brave. The weirdest thing was she barely cried. She teared up a little but didn't throw any hysterics or scream or any of that stuff. She was completely brilliant. In fact her oddly perfect behaviour is what made me most uneasy and suspicious. But she was just being brilliant. So I bought her a cat magazine with mini siamese cat toy in it, a packet of wine gums and let hr have her pasta without any sauce, just chicken, which is how she likes it best.

Thick ear

11 comments:

Overboard said...

Ouch. That looks really painful.

She sure goes to great lengths to avoid eating your pasta sauce.
;)

jmc said...

Oww. How'd the little puncture (that's what it looks like to me) get in just that spot? Glad she's okay :)

Maja said...

Gee she's growing up fast!

Jomamma said...

She's tough like mom.... That's a doozie of a bruise. Never fails when Dad is out of town, the kids end up in the ER...

Ree said...

Oh, poor Shorty. That does look painful...

Yay for braveness....

Roxrocks said...

I shivered just looking at the picture. Poor kid! Glad to hear she was a trooper!

Badger said...

Aw, poor Shorty! She's so cute though, even with a busted-up ear! And what a trouper -- I hope she recovers quickly with no further nastiness!

Dingo said...

Holy Cow! That looks painful but she probably didn't cry because a bruise like that probably gives her some mad street cred. They'll be calling her Shorty "The Ear" from now on.

LuLu said...

Good golly! That is a nasty little puncture. She is very lucky it was there and not closer to the canal.

I cannot get over how big she is getting... She is a cute girl... looks like her mum. ;)

tornwordo said...

Yipes. You were right to be suspicious though. I had a concussion once as a child. It caused amnesia and mommy didn't realize it until she called my name and I answered "who's that?" All I remember is "waking up" in the hospital in a paper gown.

Chick said...

Awww...glad she was being brilliant...she's got a cute ear there : )