Monday, September 08, 2008

It's All In The Title!

Copied, as I'm ill and have no want for real blogging but still have a laugh to share.

LONDON (Reuters) - "Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers" benefited from a late surge in public support to win the title on Friday of oddest book title of the past 30 years, The Bookseller magazine said.

The book -- a comprehensive record of Greek postal routes by Derek Willan -- grabbed 13 percent of the 1,000 international public votes cast to chose the oddest title from the winners of the annual competition that began in 1978.

It beat "People Who Don't Know They're Dead" and "How To Avoid Huge Ships" into second and third places with 11 and 10 percent respectively.

"The posties pulled off a real shock here. The pre-tournament favourite was the prize's first ever recipient - "Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice," said Horace Bent, custodian of the annual Diagram Prize.

"Right from the off, it was Gary Leon Hill's "People Who Don't Know They're Dead" that set the pace. It topped the polls for over three weeks," he added.

Another early favourite "How To Bombproof Your Horse" also failed to feature in the final count.

The prize was dreamed up initially at the 1978 Frankfurt Book Fair as a way of avoiding boredom. It has since become an annual star. This year's winner was "If You Want Closure in Your Relationship, Start With Your Legs."

(Reporting by Jeremy Lovell; Editing by Matthew Jones)




What's your favourite title that you've stumbled across? It seems bizarre titles abound and Russell Ash thought it would be a good idea to make a book about Bizarre Books. Examples include:

Flashes from the Welsh Pulpit (1889)
Whippings and Lashings Girl Guides book on knots (1977)
Handbook for the Limbless (1922)

Punishment by Robin Banks
Motorcycling for Beginners by Geoff Carless
Fundamentals of Arctic and Cold Weather Medicine and Dentistry by Harry Eisberg
Illustrated History of Gymnastics by John Goodbody
Care for your Kitten by Anna Mews

My Tablecloths - Ethel Tweedie, 1916
1587. A Year of No Importance
Not Worth Reading - Sir George Compton Archibald Arthur, 1914
A Selected Bibliography of Snoring or Sonorous Breathing 1967
The Romance of Cement 1926
The English. Are They Human? Dr G.J. Rennier, 1931


I can't think of any myself because I'm far too tired and blah to be bothered. But look! I made a post anyways! So can't expect it to be a shining example of a perfect post, now can you. No. And you shouldn't. Ok, fine. Here. Revolting Librarians! (Some of my favourite people are librarians)

I'm making tea now.

Ok, fine. If the book stuff didn't amuse you, then maybe a sausage wielding, spice rubbing thief is more to your taste. Sicko. (Yes, I stole all of these links from my favourite Wundee and I'm sure they won't mind)

4 comments:

Roxrocks said...

I'm more of a cover girl, it's what attracts me to the book. lol

Jomamma (judith) said...

That was funny, glad you have a sense of humor even though you feel crappy. Get well. Jolea and I are off to the Asian Markets, she wants me to buy an egg mold so she can play with boiled eggs.

Nancy J. Bond said...

I hope you feel better soon, Lyvvie! I stopped by to let you know I switched from Blogger to Wordpress and hope you'll change your link to:
http://nancybond.wordpress.com Thanks, chickie. :)

LuLu said...

Those were great.... I passed them along to my team members at work. :)

I hope you feel better soon pumpkin!