Sunday, August 24, 2008

Food MeMe

Another meme!

By Lyvvie (Nicked from Badger)

It has rules but you only need to know about two of them. (If you MUST know all of the rules, go read blackbird's version.)

1) Bold all the items you have eaten.
2) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

1. Venison - Hello - I live in Scotland. Yes.
2. Nettle tea - Hello - I live in Scotland. Yes. (It's good for digestion and detox)
3. Huevos rancheros - NO - but I totally want some NOW!
4. Steak tartare - Yes. There's a story. As a kid my Dad used to eat cold hot dogs out of the fridge. Kids copy their parents and I of course preferred hamburger. Luckily I never got the E-coli.
5. Crocodile - Does Alligator count?
6. Black pudding Lovely. You should see how it's made!
7. Cheese fondue - No, I've missed out on all the fondue madness.
8. Carp -Not that I recall, but I've heard they're muddy tasting
9. Borscht - Yes! Anything beetroot is good in my opinion!
10. Baba ghanoush - Yes, but it was awful. Too fatty, oily, slimy and gross. I'd like to try a good one. NO wait...that was...whatwazzit? Eggplant, lamb, Greek? Baba Fett? Nonono. shut up. Moussaka! Sorry! But I'll try Baba ghanoush.
11. Calamari - Yes and I prefer it raw in a Japanese restaurant covered in lime juice.
12. Pho - Yes I've had hot noodle soup with meat stuffs. I've not had it in Vietnam, so does that count?
13. PB&J sandwich - Hello - I'm an American. Yes.
14. Aloo gobi - Yes, all the time. I make it. I prefer aloo chat, though.
15. Hot dog from a street cart, meat on a stick too Yes, I like the foot long hot dogs at Costco. Edinburgh has a street vendor at the West End.
16. Epoisses -I don't think so.
17. Black truffle - No, I've never tried truffles of any sort apart from chocolate. I'd love to know what the fuss is about.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - Peach, plum and many sorts of fruit brandy.
19. Steamed pork buns Steamed buns, yes but only plain. Wasn't impressed.
20. Pistachio ice cream - Yes, but I prefer strawberry.
21. Heirloom tomatoes - ...I dunno? Maybe?
22. Fresh wild berries - I am a woodland feaster.
23. Foie gras - Yes and it was really nice. But not worth the guilt.
24. Rice and beans - I tried the Big Brother diet once. (that's a joke)
25. Brawn, or head cheese - No way. I'm not a freaking zombie. No brains!
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - Working my way up to it.
27. Dulce de leche - No, but I wouldn't say no.
28. Oysters - Yes, but never raw off the shell. Would try though...yet I hate slimy food.
29. Baklava - Oh yes, but can have too much and be ill.
30. Bagna cauda - No but want some now!
31. Wasabi peas - Oh yes!!
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - Yes, but not in New England, where I'm from, but in my own kitchen because I'm so cool and made it myself.
33. Salted lassi - No, but I'd want to add cardamom.
34. Sauerkraut - Yes, but it makes me all puckered.
35. Root beer float - I can haz now?
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - YES...I feel so fucking stuck up now.
37. Clotted cream tea - I've made this for folks. Clotted cream and jam scones with tea. For Tea. Ayuh.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - Yes.
39. Gumbo - Yes and should make myself and not wait for the cajun festivals.
40. Oxtail - yes, I love oxtail soup.
41. Curried goat - It should say Goat curry - they get rather particular about that. I wouldn't say no.
42. Whole insects - ARG! Not on fucking purpose! No way to treat a babysitter.
43. Phaal - No. Not heard of it either. Sounds like the kind of thing menfolks get drunk and dare each other to eat.
44. Goat’s milk - yes. It's goaty.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - Hello - I live in Scotland. Yes.
46. Fugu - No but would try once.
47. Chicken tikka masala - So much I feel I may never need to again.
48. Eel - yes. Sushi.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - NO - we have no KK's in Scotland *pout* Prolly a good thing.
50. Sea urchin - Again, sushi.
51. Prickly pear - No...have some?
52. Umeboshi - I've had it dried, baked in cakes but not on its own.
53. Abalone - I'm fairly certain again as sushi.
54. Paneer - Not as named, but sounds like pressed cottage cheese to me.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Prefer Burger King.
56. Spaetzle - It's just another word for noodle?
57. Dirty gin martini - Want one.
58. Beer above 8% ABV - Yupyup. Welcome to the UK!
59. Poutine - Again yes, but not in Canada so it should still count!!
60. Carob chips - Yes.
61. S’mores - Yes. they make them with saltines in Scotland. So weird. Import Graham Crackers you weirdos!
62. Sweetbreads - No and just won't. Offal is icky.
63. Kaolin - On reading I'll say probably. I have intentionally injested Bentonite clay as it was said to help detox. It tasted gross, and I now use it as a face mask.
64. Currywurst - Now is this a curried german sausage? Because then yes.
65. Durian - No, but reading it smells like corpses I'm not about to, either.
66. Frogs’ legs - No, have never found them on the menu.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - Yes. All of the above.
68. Haggis - Hello - I live in Scotland. Yes.
69. Fried plantain - No! I bought one a couple weeks ago and Forgot To Cook It!
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - No. how weird!
71. Gazpacho - Yuk. Cold soup is just wrong.
72. Caviar and blini - Yes.
73. Louche absinthe - No but would love to.
74. Gjetost, or brunost - Sure!
75. Roadkill - (OK - If I hit a deer, and I had a couple pals to help me toss it into my truck...ok I have a truck, and I hit a deer, and my pals help me get it into my truck and we just so happen to be really close to a butcher who doesn't mind unannounced drop-by visitors with recently hit deer...)
76. Baijiu - If we call it moonshine, then yes!
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - I am an American.
78. Snail - ...not the land variety, but ocean yes. Cockles.
79. Lapsang souchong - In my kitchen right now!
80. Bellini - No but now I want one!
81. Tom yum - I'm getting hungry...this meme is mean.
82. Eggs Benedict - Yes, but it's a fancy name for an easy breakfast.
83. Pocky - yes. I'm a Japan fan.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - I'll call Gordon Ramsay this weekend!
85. Kobe beef - No. I' will have the real thing one day.
86. Hare - if this is the same thing as rabbit, then yes.
87. Goulash - yes.
88. Flowers - Nasturtians, violets, clover...
89. Horse - No, but I know it's a regular in France.
90. Criollo chocolate - I don't know.
91. Spam - Yes. Want to try Spam Musubi.
92. Soft shell crab - I've had it as tempura.
93. Rose harissa - I don't think I've had that particular variety.
94. Catfish - yes, but not in a very long time.
95. Mole poblano - Never had mole. I know it's not the wee furry beastie.
96. Bagel and lox - I have, but not for me.
97. Lobster Thermidor - No, just butter and lemon for me.
98. Polenta - Yes, but I like it only as corn bread or muffins. Italian polenta is not my thing.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - No, what makes it special?
100. Snake - No. Not even as roadkill.

8 comments:

Roxrocks said...

I think I've eaten three things on that list. I'm not exotic.

Jomamma (judith) said...

I have had 39 of the things you mentioned, didn't like all of them. We're not real exotic eaters in Texas. We go for the deer, goat (not me on either of those) and other wild stuff. If they have it in Louisiana then I've had it and probably like it, gator, frog leds, red beans and rice, gumbo, andouille and catfish. Love rattlesnake, fried real crispy...yum! We make wine and jelly out of anything, including prickly pear. I prefer a dirty vodka martini over gin or jello shots. Krispy kream donuts are too sweet and Hostess fruit pies leave grease on the roof of my mouth.

You like Root Beer floats... try a Frosted Root Beer, it's a milk shake made with root beer instead of milk. Now I'm hungry for that and a Whopper.

Penny said...

i read this on another blog and got something like 28! i haven't lived!

but i have tried buckets of red wine if that counts.

tornwordo said...

I love this meme. I'm going to have to come back and look up a bunch of those things you linked. I'm surprised Natto is not there. I've tried it, but not fugu.

Doug said...

I took one bite of spam musubi last week -- my first ever -- and my last. Not terrible, but not an experience I wanted to prolong, either.

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Effin' yuck.

Shorty said...

I blogged this too. I've eaten a bunch of things on that list because a) i grew up in a mixed immigrant family (half polish half egyption) and b) i am pretty adventurous when it comes to food.

Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

Yucks to slimy oyster :( yucks yucks.