Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Off and running...

So things went well for Husband today. Very well. We could be moving in as little as 6-8 weeks. And by moving I mean emigrating. But just in case, it's best to be prepared. My new to-do list is:

Call contractors to come and give quotes to fix bathroom shelves, bathtub surround, wall needs stripped (That may be domain of painter/decorator) and ceiling needs re plastered. Bedroom needs mirrored wardrobe removed. We'll need to get a small wardrobe and a set of drawers. Fix shed out back so we don't have to buy a new one. Also get quote for cheap kitchen units and new counter on left side.

Painter decorator - most of the painting I could do myself but would rather leave it for someone else to do because emigrating a family of four on short notice is stressful enough. Sure it would be cheaper for me to do it, but time is of the essence so we'll have to weigh the cans and can'ts

Sassy and Shorty need British passports.

Garden guy to come cut everything back. Need a half ton of pebbles for front part and some of back.

Packing up, thinning down, shoveling a ton of stuff off to charity shops. We are taking the bare minimum and will re-buy once there.

Do we sell our house, or keep it and take an equity release before making it a rental property, using the equity loan to fund emigration? Both have big advantages.

Keep the kids positive, keep us positive, keep the kids excited, keep ourselves from having nervous breakdowns and remember we are Going For It!

Reality: Husband will have to go to Australia and start work, find a rental home for us, set up address and banking (Oh yes, call ANZ and find out T&C's for opening an account) and then I will ferret/ship many small boxes over, then arrange for shipping for larger items. We are taking no furniture, limited appliances (Like our games consoles and DVD player as the OZ ones won't play our region) We will be separated for most of this process. The kids will be many levels of despondent, anxious and maybe rebellious. Well, Sassy in particular. Shorty is young enough to not grasp the fullness of the moving, not until we get there anyways and she figures out Grandma's house isn't a short drive away anymore.

Will spend the evening looking at pictures of Melbourne to inspire myself.

Then again, he may not get the job. But better to have everything ready, just in case.

This was the big secret.

I fucking hope it's all going to be worth it. If we get there and hate it I'll be miffed.

8 comments:

Robin F said...

Congratulations! Very exciting. And lots to plan although I am sure it will all come together. Moving continents is always lots of work.

One suggestion is that it is probably not worth it to bring the dvd player. Most dvd players are easily hackable for multiregion (also I don't think they use scart connections there). If you are going to buy one there before you buy it look up the model name and number with multiregion hack and you will usually find one. We play all kinds of US dvds (region 1) on our cheap region 2 player using this. Also Aussie VCRs will play UK tapes. The power strength is roughly the same the plugs just are slanted, so if you have anything electronic that you don't want to have to rebuy (and some of these things are very expensive over there) you can just buy a converter when you get there. For example I used a toaster, food processor and mixer bought in Australia in the UK until they wore out with no problems at all.

Melbourne is a great city. We always loved visiting there. There are slow moving trams, bats in the botanic gardens and going to St Kilda's is fun.

I am trying to think of good aussie movies to watch. There is Looking for Alibrandi, The Castle, The Dish, He died with a Falafel in his hand, and the best mockumentary tv show ever, The Games. These are all older roughly circa 2000 (from when we lived there).

Wow this is very exciting. Good luck!

Roxrocks said...

If you get there and you hate it, you'll still manage because it's all just location and you'll make the best of it because you're a woman, wife and mother and that's what we do!

Keeping my fingers crossed for y'all!

Tumperkin said...

I hear it's warm there.

What's not to like?

jmc said...

Congratulations!

Shelia said...

I'm. So. Jealous!

Awesome! I doubt you'll hate it. However, I totally empathize with you on the whole moving thing. We moved several times with the military and what we did move would often get broken. One bad move we had... the movers stole my video camera and in it were all my tapes of my kids' firsts. It haunted me for months that all my babies' memories and recordings were sitting in a landfill someplace. Mail your special stuff like that to your parents.. it's not worth losing it!

Oh yeah... and my favorite band, "Sick Puppies" are from Oz. Can't be that bad, eh? :)

Happy Packing... fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!

Shelia

Overboard said...

OMFG!
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you.
So very, very, very happy.
You are leaving the UK. HOORAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Aus will be great.OMFG!! I really am chuffed for you.
It's gonna be fab when your kids are much older and they have Aussie accents and they are saying, 'I was born in the UK but my mum and dad moved here in 2008.'
I love that your kids are gonna grow up cooler than cool in laid-back AUSTRALIA.
Wow!!!!!

trinity67 said...

What?! You're moving? When did this happen? And why are you moving and is it to Melbourne, Australia?

Congratulaions!

BTW I hate moving - good luck with that.

tornwordo said...

Wow, how exciting! This will be fun to watch/read you going through. Congrats!