Monday, June 09, 2008

Dinner on the cheap.

Tonight's dinner was chicken teriyaki and sticky rice with sugar snap peas and edamame (soya beans). It was awesome. And cheap. Hence the title. Here's the recipe:

(Click on "continued" for the recipe...) Six chicken thighs, deboned. (Do this yourself and save more money then cook the bones for chicken broth)

Half cup of Soya beans (I use frozen)
Six or seven sugar snap peas per person. (Oh yes I count them!)

1.5 cups of Japanese rice (Or whatever rice you want)

For the sauce:

4 tbs of soy sauce
2 tsp of sake (I didn't have any so used dry white sherry instead)
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tsp/thumb grated ginger (freeze it first, makes it easier)
1 clove of garlic
1 tbs of mirin
1 tsp of sugar

This is a very quick meal once you get it all on the stove, and the thighs deboned. Preheat the oven to 200C. Get a cooking sheet out and place the deboned thighs on the sheet, skin up and sprinkle in salt or chicken seasoning. Put in the oven for ten minutes, then under the grill for 5-10 until the skin is really crispy.

Just after you put the chicken in the oven, wash your rice throughly. (I rinse it out about four times) and then fill your pan with water and measure your water using the finger method. note, she doesn't wash her rice enough - and she runs a cooking school, sheesh! I will set a timer for 12 minutes as I find any longer and I risk burning the rice. When the 12 minutes are up I commit a crime against rice - I take the lid off! Then I toss in the sugar snap peas, cover again and let them steam for the final 10 minutes.

So how it should work is; you put the chicken in, you start the rice. Twelve minutes later you swap the oven to grill, and then turn off the rice for it to steam for ten minutes. Then microwave the soy beans in water for three minutes or until hot and edible.

The quickest way to make the sauce is to cheat and toss all the ingredients into a mini food processor and puree until smooth, then put in a sauce pan and heat on medium for about five minutes until the sugar is well mixed. If you don't want to cheat, or can't then freeze your ginger first, then grate it smooth with the garlic and then toss it all in the saucepan etc.

Load up your dom bowl with everything and impress the family with your mad culinary skillz. Oh, and this whole meal for five (One leftover for lunch tomorrow) cost me less than £5.

3 comments:

Weary Hag said...

Teryaki chicken is one of my favorites!!!! And I love rice but have to be careful because of the carbs. Friggin carbs. Might as well pile them directly onto my fat ass.

Otherwise ... neat, cheap supper l'il one.

Overboard said...

It is amazing just how cheaply one can eat. Healthily, too.
I can buy three bags of fresh noodles for 50p.
Assorted veggies to stir-fry and pop on top of noodles come to around 50p
And if I really wanna go to town, I buy 12 pork or shrimp dumplings for 50p and well, all the above can make me three substantial meals.

My downfall is wanting to wash it all down with red wine - which costs 14 times the amount the grub cost.
;)

Anonymous said...

I think you missed your calling. You, my dear, are a foodie.
-Rox