Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Shorty!!

Shorty's 4th Birthday Cake 13/5/08

This is Shorty's 4th Birthday today. She asked for a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and that's what she's got. She is allergic to eggs and milk, so this is a vegan cake, but I challenge anyone to tell the difference - This cake is amazing!



Cake recipe:

1.5 cups of white flour (I used self rising)
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup of soy milk
1/2 cup of orange juice
2tsp vanilla extract
2tbs white vinegar

Preheat oven to 180C. Double sift all dry ingredients and remove any lumpy bits. Mix all wet ingredients - EXCEPT VINEGAR; that's put in last - and whisk into dry until smooth. Should make a thick batter. Add vinegar ans stir in quickly, pour and get straight into the oven. The vinegar and baking soda begin to react and is what makes the cake rise and become really fluffy so you cannot let it sit around. Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven until a stick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Fudge filling recipe:

1 cup caster sugar
6 tbsp corn starch
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1tsp vanilla extract
2tbsp vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients in a large sauce pan and whisk in the water. Heat over medium flame until it starts to boil. Once it boils watch for it to become lumpy and pull off the heat and whisk the shit out of it. if it's really runny, put back over the heat but be careful not to burn. It should get thick but not as thick as frosting. Add oil and vanilla and whisk in. Allow to cool completely - it'll thicken while it cools, then spread onto a cooled cake.

Frosting Recipe:

3.5 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup vegan margarine (I use Pure Soya in the UK)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mush it all together with a flat spoon or spatula until it becomes frosting (I blew my nose after this part and it was coated in chocolate/sugar dust. Ew!)

Topped with marshmallows and icing hearts.

We're taking the cake to Pre-school today for a party there with all of Shorty's friends.




Pictures of Shorty to come soon...

13 comments:

trinity67 said...

Happy Birthday Shorty!

Ree said...

Yes, Happy Birthday Shorty!

Lyvvie, that cake is adorable.

Snappy said...

Happy Birthday Shorty!! It's my birthday too! I've yet to find someone with the same b-day as me, and now I have! Can you UPS me a cake as Fancy and Pretty as that?!?

Anonymous said...

Hey Shorty, it's yer birfday!, to quote Fifty-cent. Hope it's Sparkalicious.

I wanted to let you know that they are apparently remaking The Electric Company. I know, how the F are you going to make it BETTER?
Check the NYT---can't link it here.

Yer friend in the States

Maja said...

Nice! I bet it's delicious. Happy birthday to shorty pants :)

Lyvvie said...

It wass so well received that I had four requests for the recipe - my ego was bolstered for the day. Shorty had a great birthday being the center of attention, twirling in her new pretty dress and making stations for her new toys which she scooted around to give each a fair turn at play.

Still forgot to take pictures - how could I?!

trinity67 said...

Might you be so kind as to publish the recipe? If you have time of course - thanks so much!

Lyvvie said...

I did, they're there! Click "Continued..." on the post and the whole recipe will be there for you. I've started cropping my long posts to make more space on the main page. Or click "show original post" just here on the left.

Daisy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHORTY! "Hey Shorty it's your birfday, we gonna parrrrrty like its your birfday."

doug said...

Happy Birthday, Oh Short One! (I bet she hates that.)

Vinegar and baking soda cake? I have visions of chocolate cake exploding in the oven, bits of it everywhere.

Donna said...

Happy Birthday Shorty!! Precious cake Miz Lyvvie!hughugs

Lyn Cash said...

aaw, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Shorty!

Love the new look, Lyvvie!!!

Sarah said...

DANG!
I want it!
*yoink*
*steals cake*
*makes four year old cry*
*paints a picture of it*
Hoorah!