Saturday, May 10, 2008

Observation

My Mom always comes with presents. I don't ask for much, whatever she wants for the kids, cinnamon sweets for Husband and I usually need new lounge wear (That's fancy sweatpants to you layfolks) and vaseline intensive care for dry skin unscented - they don't sell that type here and it's my favourite(That's my secret to being almost wrinkle free). But this time I did ask for some bento supplies, mini food cutters and lunchboxes. All of it very, very welcome.

Mom also brought me a surprise. She brought me some new underpants. She must have read in the blog how UK underpants are always too big, so I have to buy them two sizes smaller. She she's shown up with ten size ten underpants. People: These are humongous! I used to be a size ten American - those pants would never have fit me. At a UK sixteen those pants don't fit me. They would only have fit me in my last trimester of pregnancy. People: The pants are humongous!

I'm wondering if the USA has reordered the size charts? With the rise in obesity, maybe they thought to save some folks the shame of a wardrobe full of larger sizes by relabeling the sizes? Adjust an inch here and there, folks stay happy, maybe even loyal to the shop to sells the "truer" size. What's the hip measurement for a size ten these days, 40 inches?

Humongous, satin, full girl brief pants. I might stitch them together and make a kite parafoil.

9 comments:

tornwordo said...

I think I read somewhere that the sizes have all increased to make people think they are smaller than they are/were.

Anonymous said...

Back when I was 20 lbs lighter, I was a size 7. Now, I'm a six. Hm.

Like Judge Judy says, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!"

Anonymous said...

Oops, that was me.
-Rox

Lyn Cash said...

Tornwordo is correct - I went jeans shopping a few weeks ago, and the size for ME was like less than half of normal. I blinked, couldn't believe it. C'mon. - lol

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY - your time and pressies from your mum sound awesome.

Badger said...

They absolutely HAVE reordered sizes here in the US. They call it "vanity sizing". Because apparently if someone finds out they actually ARE a size 10, they'll slit their wrists over it. So let's make yesterday's size 10 a size 8, and bump everything else back as well, because the American public is STUPID and they'll totally fall for it!

Drives me NUTS!

Going strictly by numbers, I've worn the same size jeans for the past 20 years. Nevermind that I've given birth twice since then, and that I'm at my heaviest (without benefit of pregnancy) NOW. None of my OLD jeans fit me -- I still have some, for nostalgia purposes -- but when I went out to buy new ones, I took the exact same size! That is CRAZY. I have no idea what size the really tiny people, like I USED to be, are wearing now. I think they'd have to be in negative numbers.

Ree said...

Lyvvie, they have.... absolutely. Badger said it all. Vanity Sizing. Seriously, when I was young there was no such thing as a size 0. And when I was in high school, I wore a 12. I wear a 10 now, and believe me....those pants from high school? no freakin' way I'd get my butt in them.

But underpants? Size 10 is HUGE. I wear size 5 underwear..... Sometimes 6. I think they're sized differently anyway - regardless of vanity sizing.

Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

Happy Momsies' Day, Momsie!

Lyvvie said...

Thanks for that *blush*

trinity67 said...

I gave up on sizes a long time ago so now I just hold things up to me and then just always ensure that I can get a full refund, as I hate to try things on in stores. This process however, does not work as well for underwear or bathing suits. I hate trying on bathing suits HATE IT.

~ hurl ~