Friday, May 02, 2008

My New Hobby

I started sending Sassy-face off to school with packed lunches this week. The cost of groceries is getting high as they just announced an increase in school lunches so I decided to go back to the packed lunch.

Sassy never used to eat all of her lunch. Actually she ate very little of it and would just eat the snacks and none of the healthy stuff. In frustration I bought her school lunches instead - out of sight out of mind. This time around I thought the best way to encourage her to eat her lunch was to make it more appealing than the traditional.

Here comes Japan to the rescue with its exotic, eclectic and fun culture of Bento. All you have to do is do a google image/Flickr search bento and you'll get the idea of what these lunches are like. Some are art, some are fun, some are practical and some are an outlet for nouveau cuisine. Whatever your take on it, my hope was that I'd found the way to make lunch exciting. So I've been collecting bento boxes, accessories, pretty doo-dads and thingamagigies and a whole lot of ideas.

I didn't want to put them all here, so I started a Bento only blog called Obento Baby! so if you're curious about this bento fun and want to join in - go have a look!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG they are so cute! You're a smart and creative mom. I just yell at my kids if they don't eat their lunches.
-Rox

tornwordo said...

Wow, what fun. It makes me bitter though because I had to eat a bologna sandwich every day growing up. Ugh.

Crystal* said...

OMG!
I want to be you when I grow up. I'm a big fan of PB & J. That makes me awful, doesn't it???
Grins*

Lyvvie said...

PB&J is my favourite. Toasted. With butter. I want some now.