Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I couldn't do it.

I was looking for recipes for something to snack on that would work with my low carb diet. I found this recipe for chicken muffins and I thought it sounded ok, plus each muffin had only on gram of carb. Even better, but when I looked at it I kept thinking; that's not a muffin recipe. That's not a muffin recipe. There's nothing there to make a batter. Muffins need batter to become muffins. What this recipe was, was a meatball recipe. Maybe an omelet recipe.

But I thought I'd give it a try. I got so far as to get all the ingredients into the bowl and then ready to spoon into my muffin pan when I just had to stop and fix it. I was about to put meatball mix into my muffin pan and that's just not right. If you're going to call something a muffin you must have batter! So I added a half a cup of soya flour and 100ml of light cream (I'll have black coffee for the rest of the day, I guess). It looked much better. It felt right.

Now they're cooking and it's weird but all I can smell is cinnamon muffins. There's not a bit of cinnamon in the mixture, but I must have impregnated my silicone pan with cinnamony goodness. They've cooked really quick, and they're quite eggy so I was right, they seem more like an omelet in a muffin pan - or it would've been if I hadn't changed the recipe.

How do they taste? Well a bit too salty, but not bad at all! Next time I'll use unsalted chicken seasoning and add the cheese into the individual muffin sections. Here's recipe and pictures:

12 ounce cooked and diced chicken (2 cups)
2 eggs
1/4 cup celery, minced (1 small stalk)
1 teaspoon dry minced onion
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon chicken seasoning (or use 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt)
2 tablespoons pimiento, minced (optional)
2 ounces cheddar, shredded
1/2 cup soya flour
100ml light cream

Mix all ingredients well in a medium bowl. Spoon into 6 well-greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 30-35 minutes, until set and lightly browned. Makes 3-6 servings


Low Carb Chicken MuffinsLow Carb Chicken MuffinsLow Carb Chicken Muffins


A quick entering of figures into Fitday tells me the recipe stats approximately:

Total: 895
Fat: 47 422 48%
Sat: 21 187 21%
Poly: 8 72 8%
Mono: 14 122 14%
Carbs: 20 61 7%
Fiber: 5 0 0%
Protein: 97 389 45%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Not bad for a low carb recipe. Quarter that for per muffin in my makings. And, piggie that I am, I ate them all, two for lunch and the others before dinner. I was really hungry after walking all over town and coast with my new camera toys (I got macro lenses!). Pictures tomorrow.

13 comments:

Snappy said...

Mmm.. Do post the recipe! They look delicious!

tornwordo said...

Aw, you should have done just one before you added the flour. They look like muffins though, I may take a crack at that.

Lyvvie said...

The top picture is pre-flour, notice the milkier colour in the muffin pan?

I followed the recipe exactly as in the link but added the 1/2 cup of soya flour and 100ml of light cream (same as half and half I believe)

They were really filling! So definitely a great carry along if I'm not sure where my next meal is coming from.

Lyvvie said...

There's more pictures on flickr, if you're interested *grin*

NWJR said...

Now that I'm back on it, I'm remembering the joy (rapid weight loss) and the agony (nothing to eat that's crunchy) of the low-carb lifestyle.

Lyvvie said...

Cucumber, celery, nuts, pork rinds (foul icky things IMO) I've made meringues that were pretty nice. There's a lot to try if you poke about looking for recipes.

Ree said...

Well, at least there's no alcohol?!?

Seriously, did they taste at all muffiny?

Maja said...

The look like muffins... yum yum!

Sarah said...

*backs out slowly*

Lyvvie said...

They were more like dense omelets than fluffy cakey muffins.

Donna said...

Really, they look wonderful! Sort of like a popover!hughugs

LuLu said...

How is it that all of your muffins get wee man crowns? Never to my muffins get crown. If I am lucky, sometimes they end up flat. Others... well, I will be posting the disaster that was my cupcakes later today.

Devastating. ;)

Daisy said...

The muffins look good. I may have to try them.