Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Moonlight Shopping...

One of the benefits I liked about working the late shift in a grocery store is that all the discounted goodies we staff we got first refusal for. It didn't happen all the time, but often something good came along like a bouquet of roses or pack of organic chicken breasts for pence. Last night I got a four pound shoulder of lamb for fifty pence. I thought, who could refuse a slab of meat fit to feed the whole family for fifty pence. Only thing is; I rarely cook lamb. Those cute, fluffy, frolicking animals shouldn't be on a plate. So maybe once a year, if something like this comes my way, I'll make it. Plus: lamb is So Fatty! But, whole shoulder for fifty pence? The frugality that plagues me won over.

I also have no clue how to prepare a shoulder a lamb. I asked others (as there were about seven joints going) and some said they were making lamb stew, or scotch broth or slow cooking in foil. Onward to the internet I forage for insight. there's a lot of recipes and most recommend a slow cook for gentle, forking after cooking. four to five hours in a low oven at least. One recipe I looked at suggested cooking over night. So no light undertaking this shoulder of lamb. In the end I decided that simple is best and am following this recipe I found on Somerset Farms Direct and the recipe is by Coralie Dorman.

roasted lamb shoulder



New seasons lamb shoulder
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 crushed garlic cloves
2-3 tbsp olive oil

1. Take one new seasons lamb shoulder and put it on a rack in a roasting tin.
2. Mix together the ginger, soy sauce mustard, garlic and oil.
3. Smear this paste over the lamb and roast at about 300ºF/150ºC/gas mark 2 for about 4-5 hours.

By this time you can forget about carving and just fork the meat off.



I admit I snickered at "fork the meat off" because it sounded dirty. This is in the oven just now and I'll have to search about for some accompaniments. I think something potato and then...I don't know. I have Brussels sprouts, but YUK! I only bought them because the kids asked for them Yes you read that right, my kids like Brussels sprouts. This always makes me think swapping in the hospital must have occurred. With aliens.

Ok. I was thinking this through and with lamb I think Moroccan cuisine. So I have eggplants and will roast them until pulpy then I'll make some basmati rice with turmeric, cinnamon and cumin. Add some almonds and raisins, then mash the whole lot together. Forked lamb and eggplant pilaf kind of thing. It'll work, I'm sure of it.

9 comments:

tornwordo said...

I like fork the meat off too. And Brussel Sprouts are the bomb. However, when I was a kid, the odour of them cooking made me gag. I couldn't even be in the house then.

Blazngfyre said...

Fork the meat off ...
*snicker*

I ADORE Lamb!
keep your sides simple .... asparagus spears or a nice crisp spinach salad, possibly some roasted new potatoes as well.

My ex's family were British, so lamb was served EVERY holiday, along with quite heavy sides, and it was always too rich!

Anywho, good on you for such a bargain!
Enjoy ..... :)

Robin F said...

Have you tried roasted Brussel sprouts? If you do it just right the are nice and brown on the outside. There's recipe up for them right now on the Post Punk Vegan blog. No advice on the lamb, as I am on the cute fuzzy don't eat end of the spectrum.

Maja said...

I looooove lamb!

Last week at work they made a moroccan lamb dish and it was AWESOME.

It's great that your kids like brussel sprouts. They're sooo good for you!

Sylvana said...

I generally have a no-eating-of-mammals policy, but I do break it on special occasions. Two of those occasions were haggis in Scotland and pylsurs in Iceland -- both of lamb and both delicious!
All the lamb that I have tried in the US tasted like wet hound - bleh!

Daisy said...

I have only had lamb once...lamb curry.

Enjoy your forked off meat! ;-)

Masquerade said...

Thank you. Thank you so much, Lyvvie. Of all the people I've spoken to you're the only person that's really given me HELPFUL suggestions. I really appreciate it, and I really needed that. Thank you. *hug*

Chick said...

Sounds yummy...except for the pulpy part...hope that didn't happen.

Lyvvie said...

I love oven roasted eggplants, and when they get pulpy they are heavenly.MMmmmmm will have some later for lunch.

Pulpy is a fun word.