Monday, January 07, 2008

Something new...

I like to trawl the internet for recipes. I do it all the time. I sometimes have an ingredient I'd like to try something new with, or have no clue how to cook and Yay! Internet to the recuse. So I thought, If I get stuck for something to blog about, I'll post up a recipe I found on some website and present my opinions on it. Why the hell not? I've become rather uninspired with cooking as of late, resorting to the same meals all the time. I blame the kids and their boring palates. They don't like spice, they don't like heat...they just like tinned baked beans and sausages. Philistines!

So on perusal of the cupboards I noticed I've got a surplus of tinned organic red kidney beans. I must have bought them on promotion or something, but they need used. So on I go to fine recipes for kidney beans that are NOT chili. As it seems the only thing I ever do with them is eat them alone in a bowl with hummous (a post gym favourite) or make chili. Last night I tried Dr. Dick's Mean and Lean Kidney Bean Hash as I had all the ingredients (apart from Mrs. Dash which I don't think we get in the UK but I have a suitable Schwartz alternative. Fajita spice perhaps) And I wanted to use some turkey, so the Turkey hash it is!

Dr. Dick's Mean-n-Lean Bean Hash

I followed the recipe with one difference; I coated the turkey in seasoned cornflour so they'd get a nice wee crispy coating too. I tossed the meat (don't laugh!) into the pan with the onions and peppers but next time I make this, I'll fry the meat in a separate pan first so the veg doesn't get soggy flour lumps on it. Also I only had small salad potatoes which I boiled and just crumbled up in my hands (Grrrr Crush! Hulk Hands! Grrrr!) over the pan. It cooks up very quickly and it's just a matter of letting it get crisp on the bottom and then turn it so you get more crispy bits.

The family liked it - well except for Shorty, but she has a thing about dinner and won't eat anything at night-time. The rest of us thought it was tasty enough. Not top cuisine, but satisfying enough and it is a one pot dish...well until I fry the meat in a separate pan that is. I think a few fresh herbs tossed in would've helped it, if I'd had any, thyme and oregano. I think it's one of those meals that is going to taste better as leftovers - and guess what I get for lunch today!

My stove top is a mess and will be scoured today - hey! Does anyone know how to get burnt-on marshmallow off of enamel? Been trying for months but no luck and I dread the thought of a razor.

9 comments:

NWJR said...

I was still laughing at "Dr Dick" when you wrote about "tossing the meat".

Now I have coffee all over my keyboard. I'm sending you the bill.

;-)

kitkat said...

Are kidney beans the beans that are used in "red beans and rice" recipes? Or could they be? I've been wanting to make/eat red beans and rice because it seems very hearty (but probably farty).

I'm a newbie to your blog :)

Lyvvie said...

Rich, I can't afford another keyboard!!

Red beans are indeed kidney beans and they have a low gas emission to them. Well, for me anyways. Black-eye peas on the other hand are completely banned. I bet this would be fine with most beans, it's all about personal preferences.

Donna said...

God that looks good....Hubby & I are "dieting"....I'm flying over for lunch...LOL Have fun today!

Maja said...

Mmm sounds hearty.

I've got so many things to blog about I don't know where to start. It's going to take all day.

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Funny you should write this. I'm searching for turkey breast crockpot recipes just now.

RHSPapa aka The Sane said...

I am on a low carb diet and you.are.tempting.me.

Will resist. Must resist. CAN resist.

Sylvana said...

For the marshmallow, lay a wet cloth on it overnight and see if that budges it. OR use steam. I find steam will get pretty much anything off enamel.

Lyvvie said...

OH! I do own a steam buggy...