Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sometimes I can't let it go...

nab45humI've wanted to post about all sorts of things but I'm stumped by this issue. This annoying wee thing that won't let me be. It's Shredded Wheat.

See, they sell it in these big boxes, open it up and there's individual packets. Now I actually prefer the small, bite-sized shredded wheats, but accidentally ordered the big biscuits. I don't like the big biscuits. They don't fit in the bowl, are harder to eat as they are wider than my mouth and spoon, and can't get milky enough to chop without getting properly soggy and gross. They come in packets of three. Three. A serving size is two biscuits. So why do they wrap them in threes? Why not twos, or even fours so I could save the other two for the next morning? Why give me a superfluous biscuit? And - they are sold as 27 biscuits to the box; that means I am being stiffed out of half a serving!

SHREDDED_WHEAT

Why dictate to me that a serving is two biscuits and then force feed me more than that? Make me find alternative packaging (usually a ziplock bag) to store the extra biscuit in so it won't go stale and then leave me a biscuit short at the end of the box? It's insane! Do you not think that's just insane? Am I wrong in this? It's just so amazingly wrong! It even has the cheek on the box to say "This pack contains thirteen 45g servings" , which it does...plus extra. (I know this because I weighed them.)



So I'm going to phone them and complain...Yes I am. Right now as a matter of fact. OK. So it seems that, first of all: I am not the only one who is frustrated by this, as the very nice lady on the on the Nestle Cereals helpline informed me she gets about thirty of these calls a week. She says that when they contracted their current factory, it was already set in place to package three biscuits, and it couldn't be changed. But - I am informed that they're beginning manufacture in a new factory soon (Damn! I should've asked if it was in the UK. Support local, you know.) and they will be packaging the biscuits in twos, AND in larger boxes to accommodate the extra (therefore 28) biscuit. I'll have to wait a further 6 months before I'll see this in the shops, though. But I do feel better for getting things straightened out.

And I'm so glad there's others out there who are also frustrated by this. I am not the only weirdo in the UK. The thing that bugs me the most: I don't even buy the big biscuits - I buy bite sized. And will buy bite-sized from now on. So why, after all of this, has it been such an issue with me?

8 comments:

NWJR said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you. :-)

Crystal* said...

*not snickering* No ma'am. Not at all.
This would bother me, also. First off...sod the big biscuits, I must have the bite-sized. Who in their right mind would purposefully CHOOSE to have the honking huge biscuits? Seriously.

I had issues when the tampons I use are in the SAME BOX but they are packaged two less per box! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. Sheesh!
Grins*

Maja said...

Things like that are totally annoying!

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

The most fascinating posts are those little, everyday frustrations the author shares with her readership.

Also, those featuring half-naked pics.

Lyvvie said...

So true Bug, my love. Now - why aren't we seeing more of yours? Even a bit of calf would be great. Mr. Home gym *wink*

Lyvvie said...

I love my blog friends - always there with the support!!

tornwordo said...

It's charming that you went to the trouble to call. Not weirdo, just quirky. lol.

Chunks said...

I love how you put the extra biscuit in a ziploc to keep it from going stale. How can you tell the difference between stale and fresh? I mean, it's frigging shredded wheat?! I thought that was synonymous with stale...

I also love that you called to set it straight about a product you don't even normally buy!