Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Missing my Dad...

Both Doug and Corinna have done posts where they talk about their Dads. Doug was talking about his childhood memory of what his Dad was always doing, playing solitaire. Corinna was talking about music her parents listened to that she now has appreciation for. It's made me think about both questions: What do I remember most about my Dad and music we share.

what I remember most, is my Dad was tired. He was a carpenter and worked 10 hour days and would come home exhausted and lie on the couch and want to wind down and watch the news. Often he was a bear about it, and territorial about his couch - no sharing. If you did sit at the very end of the couch, near his feet, you would be assaulted with toxic fart fumes.

In his younger days he had weekend energy and we'd go camping, and meet other families and have cookouts and stuff. It was great. Fishing, boating and I remember visiting an Indian reservation where I was allowed to throw an axe and shoot a shotgun that blew me backwards onto my ass, to much adult hilarity.

His older days seemed to be his attempts to collect toys; the big truck, the boat, the camper van, and lots of things. He seemed very happy spending money, but never seemed very happy. He'd have bursts of energy, inspiration and be a jolly motivated kind of person quickly followed by episodes of depression on the couch watching the news. I loved him most on the highs and always wanted that Daddy around. I endured the grouch on the couch until he became inspired again.

Anyways, music was a love in life. He had, well I think, atrocious taste in music. And as his child I'm allowed to say that because the man tortured me into making some lousy and desperate music choices of my own purely for escape. I at least have youth as my excuse. I often think his way of ensuring I went out to play and left the house was to put his Boxcar Willie 8-tracks on. I remember the long weekends of almost a year of non-stop Roger Whittaker. As a result, however, I lust after men with deep, soulful voices, as in my young childhood I fell in love with Lou Rawls. That was my sister's 8-track though, not Dad's.

I've included a list of some of the songs I put up with and have never really appreciated. I can sing them, even enjoy them for a fleeting moment before I remember the lonely hours in the woods behind my house playing alone, waiting for the dreaded music to stop. Listen for yourself...No you must! Click some of these and listen to them. Even a few seconds will do...

Powered by eSnips.com

8 comments:

Dctraxe said...

Do you have to have the toxic fart thing happening if you are to be a dad?...

Dctraxe said...

Sorry I wanted to say that my parents listened to a wide variety of music I still listen to today. Lot's of Jazz standards.. Good solo volcalists. But the Country music I could not stomach...

carrie_lofty said...

"His older days seemed to be his attempts to collect toys; the big truck, the boat, the camper van, and lots of things. He seemed very happy spending money, but never seemed very happy. He'd have bursts of energy, inspiration and be a jolly motivated kind of person quickly followed by episodes of depression on the couch watching the news. I loved him most on the highs and always wanted that Daddy around. I endured the grouch on the couch until he became inspired again."

That's me with my parents now. It's depressing. Especially with my kids being young, I wanted them to do the grandparent thing, to grow up to know my folks the way I knew them. I wait for them to come back to me, but now I'm just greedy for a day or two out of the year that feels like the old days.

And your dad and my dad shared very similar tastes. Add Johnny Rodriguez and 60s stuff like Jay & the Americans....

Doug said...

My dad is a Big Band kind of guy. Different eras.

Toxic fart fumes seems to be a common Dad Theme, too :)

Lyvvie said...

I'm a fan of Jazz, Jay and the Americans - I love the little cafe song! and Big band, well you should see the collection I have. I love it too. Also 40's movie music...I love that Golden Day of Hollywood feel.

But yeah, Slim Whitman kind was a downer for me compared to Doris Day.

Even still, I'd suffer his whole record collection to have one more day with him.

Lucky Lady said...

I NEVER HAD A DAD HE LEFT WHEN I WAS 3 MONTHS OLD BUT THOSE KENNY ROGERS SONGS ARE SOME OF MY FAVORITES

Nancy J. Bond said...

This is a very nice reminiscence of your Dad, Lyvvie. I'm very lucky that my Dad is still with me and I treasure every hour we get to spend together.

E said...

How nice to read your memories of your dad! We would listen to my Dad's 8 tracks of Roger Whittaker, Slim Whitman, and Burl Ives. To this day, I still know all the words. But they are great and wonderful memories for me. I make sure I make my kids listen to Queen, The Beatles, the Bee Gees, ELO, and on and on, so they have a taste of my generation the way my dad did with me. They really enjoy it!