Friday, June 15, 2007

SassyFace's Birthday...

Is on Sunday. This year Husband must share his special day with his beloved first born. He doesn't mind really, and it's not the last time it'll happen either.

For this year we decided to have a SMALL party. I told her she could invite four friends. That later turned into five friends. I can manage five friends. It's fine. I've booked a mini-bus to take us all so we don't have to worry about drop off/pick up issues and it's safest. I've booked a couple lanes at the bowling alley and the kids and adults (if any choose to hang around) can have a game too. I've also booked a table at Pizza Hut for lunch. Should be great!

Yesterday one of the moms comes over and mentions her son has coeliac disease. Pizza Hut isn't really gluten free so she'll let him bring a lunchbox with him. I agreed but after thinking about it I felt bad for the kid - having to bring his own lunch to a birthday party, not being able to have any cake. So I thought I'd bake a gluten free cake. I saw his mum today and mentioned it - she suggested a brand and seemed happy with the idea. It's also egg free so it'll be great for Shorty too, two allergies in one cake. I've even researched a really nice chocolate marshmallow frosting that is vegan/coeliac friendly. So, for five kids, there will be two cakes: one from Costco which each child will receive a slab to share with their family, and the allergy free cake.

Just had a birthday party cancellation...chicken pox. BUT It's ok and we'll go swing by her house and bring her her party bag and big slab of cake because she's really disappointed about not going. SO, now I have too much stuff, not enough kids and I still have to go to the shops and buy gluten free cake stuff because, nyah, I volunteered to bake a freaking gluten free cake. BUT as I'm walking with Sassyface on the way home after school, she says "I don't need a cake really because Pizza Hut has the Sundae Station where we can have lots of ice cream!" SO in the fridge, right now is a Costco cake to serve twenty, and I'm making a cake for the allergy kids and NO ONE WILL WANT CAKE BECAUSE OF THE FUCKING ICE CREAM STATION?!

I'm going to have a meltdown.

Then, we have to put her bike together.

I did buy gin today. Oh yes.

14 comments:

Mr. Shoes said...

you so need to buy yourself a pair of shoes after all this ... you deserve it.

and is that Xena i see?

tornwordo said...

Good luck ma'am. Maybe Costco will let you return the cake, lol.

Maja said...

Of course they'll want cake! They can have cake AND ice cream together! Sounds like it'll be a fun day :)

Chunks said...

Oh birthday parties for children are such JOY aren't they?!

Reward yourself with a big old Gin and whatever-you-mix-gin-with after it is all over.

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Put the gin in the cake. That'll slow those damn kids down.

Lyvvie said...

None of them wanted ice cream, they all wanted cake. The gluten free one was the best by far. I forgot to put the gin in the fridge, and the tonic and had no ice so I didn't get my gin. Tonight I'll have my gin. We're going to my in-laws house today so after that I'll need it.

Sassy is overjoyed with her haul, will post more later.

Maja said...

haha! I knew they'd eat cake :)

Gerbera Daisy said...

Hope Sassy had a HAPPY HAPPY DAY!!! Think of me when you have that drink!

Blazngfyre said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SASSY!
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY MR. LYVVIE!

To answer your last post, the flat iron I have is a Jilbere ceramic 1 1/2" flat iron.
My hair is down to my butt, so it takes me a good hour to straighten, but I LOVE the ceramic irons!
They flatten it out but good!

jmc said...

Lyvvie, as I read your post and Sassyface's comment about the sundae station, I was thinking that a birthday isn't a birthday without cake! It doesn't matter how abundant the ice cream is. Must. Have. Cake. But maybe kids are different?

Have you made yourself a large G&T to reward yourself for the cake making?

Aimee said...

this post cracks me up. It just goes to show that no matter how considerate you are and how much you plan - well, nothing is ever "just so" (I, personally, hate this because I am a PLANNER)

Glad to hear it worked out!

Sherazade96 said...

Oh! *squeal* Your bday party is going to be a huge success! I can't wait to hear all about how it went!

NWJR said...

A bit of advice: Drink the Gin AFTER you assemble the bike.

Trust me.

Don't ask me how I know.

Just trust me.

Sylvana said...

Bowling!! What fun!
We always have fun at JD's bowling parties. We get the ice cream cakes - that way you have ice cream and cake in one.

Glad to hear that everything worked out. Kid's parties can be pretty stressful