Friday, June 22, 2007

Oh dear...

I have been neglecting my blog - where has the time gone this week?! Sad thing is I don't even have time to post much this morning. so some updates:

Sassyface's party was a success, even though only three kids came and one was a wee jerk who got huffy because he didn't win at bowling and then refused to eat anything at Pizza Hut, until of course everyone was served, then he decided he was hungry. We're not having him back.

Bowling alleys are very different than I remember. This one had disco lights rolling and flashing all over the place, and light up lanes so the lights follow the ball, and neon colored balls, loud music, MTV on the screen and it automatically tallied up everyone's scores. It also had pop-up bumpers so none of the kids could get a gutter ball and a launch thing the kids could aim and roll their balls down the alley. No more silly Sumo shots.

Husband and I have both started a version South Beach diet. Six small meals a day, lots of protein, very limited carbs, tons of vegetables. So far so good; no starving and no wild cravings.

I've started a new weights routine, only I don't do as many curls and swap in some triceps work instead - obviously a routine by a guy looking "big guns". Also I do lunges instead of one leg calf raises. I've also added an extra day of workouts and a night-time run once the kids are in bed, only for about 25 minutes. But it's really doing the business keeping my metabolism ticking. the big thing I've noticed: I'm warm a lot. It has nothing to do with summer, it's completely the internal furnace. Burn baby burn!

I've spent a lot of time in complete focus on getting Shorty Toilet trained. No nappies during the day - I don't care how many outfits she pees through. Pull-ups are for sleeping only. "I want to be the baby in a nappy!" "You can be a big girl in cotton pants in the day, and a baby at night." It's starting to work - persist persist persist with a hint of insist. I thought we'd had this all done ages ago but she had other ideas and I gave up thinking, she's just not ready, don't push it. But she's three now and I'm going to push a little. I know she can do it, now she needs to figure that out too. Yesterday was out first perfect day - however she still forgets to poo on the toilet. So I buy store brand extra cheap pack of five underpants and throw out the poopie ones - life's too short to clean crap from someone's drawers.

Sassy has earned a bronze and a silver star for her excellent behaviour at school. Four more to go and she gets gold and a huge reward. This isn't gold star on a chart stuff, this is big school award stuff. We're psyched that she's finally showing some signs of being driven to achieve a goal, and we'll take her out for a treat this weekend to celebrate her silver star but I think there's going to have to be a super big prize for her if she gets the Gold. We're really proud. She's also cut down on the tantrums and is doing amazingly well in school - she's like a completely different kid from a couple months ago. I don't know what clicked in her head, but thank God it did.

My Father in law is doing very well and will be coming back home soon. It's been very hard with him being ill these past six months but finally they seem to have figured it all out. He's going to need some physiotherapy because he's had muscle wastage, but his mind is sound.

We've had a lot of good lately.

5 comments:

Maja said...

Good stuff I'm glad Sassy's doing so well. Keep up the good work! xx

Lyn Cash said...

What a kewl blog post - I love the warmer months and the goals that come with them. Best on yours - the weights training, the diet, and way to go for staying focused on family. Your kids will thank you millions of times over for it.

Badger said...

Yay Sassy!

Neither of my kids were toilet trained until they were just shy of FOUR. And in case you didn't know, four-year-old poop looks just like adult poop. And is about as much fun to clean out of a diaper. Yuck!

Doug said...

My son potty-trained at three. Wish he'd managed it at two, but boys will be boys . . .

Chunks said...

I'm glad to see you post something and that your absence was due to just regular old life and not some tragedy or something! Although poopy panties are somewhat of a tragedy, you seem to be working it all out. LOL!