Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Going well...

Remember when I said that because of the grunge/heroin chic look was destined to come back into fashion and I jokingly said I was going to begin a diet to become superslim? Yeah? Well I decided that not to joke and actually did begin a diet. And I've lost 7 lbs already.

You know, all those diets that say "You can eat as much as you want and still lose weight!" are liars, right. It's just not reality. You cannot pig out on healthy food and lose weight: it's impossible. The body works on a balance system - hence "balanced diet" is actually sensible. You eat food, you ingest calories, you burn calories. Whatever calories you don't burn gets made into fat. Easy. You want to burn your fat stores you have to ingest less calories and force the body to use it's fat stores. This means that no matter what diet you're on, if you want to actually succeed at losing weight you will feel some level of hunger.

The balance of hunger to excess is tricky. Some folks, like me, can't handle hunger pains. I hate them. I double over with them sometimes and that's even after eating only a few hours previously. I never let hunger become dizzy spells or exhaustion, that's just stupid. You'll shut your body down, kill your metabolism and gain weight in the end. I remember Jane Fonda talking about how when she was a young actress, she starved for thinness as was the fashion in the 60's. She said that even eating an apple caused her to gain weight. That's a fucked up metabolism. That's why she became something of an exercise junkie, to allow herself to eat better.

When I'm in a lose weight mode I'll restrict to 1000-1300 calories per day. Breakfast is a fruit smoothie - a big one mind, two glasses worth/roughly 18oz. in which I'll have half a pineapple, an apple, a banana and a handful of of mixed (frozen) berries. This will vary of course, some days I'll put an orange in, or whatever fruit was on sell-by-date discount at the grocery store. Then I'm in the gym for two hours and my workouts burn between 1000-1300 calories (hence the food targets). I'll get home and have lunch which lately has been a bag of fresh portioned veg that I can microwave in the bag for three minutes that I'll have with half a bag of mixed herb salad and some light thousand island dressing, or fajita spice. I'll have a normal dinner with my family but I'll have a smaller portion than normal, I'll eat the same amount as my kids (Last night was ginger beef teriyaki with sugar-snap peas, red peppers and onions with sticky rice). No snacks. No crap. Drink lots of water. I like hot water mixed with lemon. For some reason hot drinks eases a hunger better then a cold one does.

Here's where everyone shouts "Foul!". On gym days, I take ephedrine tablets. Oh there ya go, shout cheat at me all you want but fuck-it: it works! Have I read all the information? - yes. Do I know all the side effects? - yes. Am I taking low dose? - yes. Does it really help in weight loss? - yes. I use it to keep my motivation and energy up when in the gym. I don't use it all day; it has a 6-8 hour effect on the body, although it's suggested to use twice a day, I only use it once. My heart rate is increased by 10-12 BPM while at it's peak. I heaven't had any side effects except a bit of jitters that would be the same if I'd taken No-Doz tabs before going to the gym (which I used to do but suffered with serious muscle tension.)

So now I've been doing this for a week and it's going well. Not even a challenge, well not too bad. I didn't have any stressful build-up telling myself "The diet begins on Monday!" I just decided to do it. The downside will come with the Diet Trolls. You know who they are. they're the ones who pay close attention, are supportive and friendly until the day they bring you food. They always come with cake, sweets or your favourite naughtiness whatever it may be. Resisting is hard because these people tend to love you, and you love them, or at least like them a bit. You don't want to say no and hurt their feelings. You don't want to say no and be accused of being no fun, either. Other Trolls are even in the gym - the bitches who talk about food while you're on the elliptical - how mean!! Resisting the Trolls is hard.

Training for the 5K on July 1st is going great! I'm running it in good time and my feet aren't suffering too badly so all good all round. I've not made my money target yet, so if you've not donated yet - give it some thought. It's for charity after all!! Just follow the link up the right corner of the blog.

We're going away this weekend! I'm very excited. We're not going far, but to someplace I've never been - Glasgow! We've taken a flat for the weekend and will tour the city, museums and touristy fun stuff. It'll be great. Things to see are the Burrell collection, Museum of Transportaion and there's tons more, just look through the site on those links. Husband has chosen most of the locations - I'm just happy to get away. I'll be scouring the house, as I hate to come back from a trip and find chores still left to do.

Off to the gym now...

11 comments:

tornwordo said...

Good for you. The ephedrine works for motivation at the gym. I had my best workouts on that. Have fun in Glasgow!

Chunks said...

I couldn't handle the faster beating heart thing. It would remind me too much of a panic attack. Now, everything I've read about eating says to eat small things all day long then you are never hungry. Like six small meals rather than three. And to eat your biggest meal in the morning. I don't know shit from putty though, so do whatever is working for you. You will be able to dress like a heroin junkie in no time!! :)

Glasgow? Take photos please!! I have a confession to make, for the longest time, I thought you lived in England. Duh.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad you're off the plateau. You were my inspiration in February to really lose the excess weight, and I'm down 20 pounds, going from sz 14 to 10. I'm losing slowly, but don't feel deprived at all---I eat a "clean" 1700-2000 calories/day, lift weights, work out. I could never starve myself---I'm like you, I can't stand the hunger pangs. :-)

Crystal* said...

Damn woman. Two hours a day? I'd be sleeping on the stairmaster.
You ARE part Hellbitch in running shoes, aren't you?
Color me impressed. Very impressed. I have no doubt that you'll bend your body to your will. I'm working on that as well this year.
Grins*

Marigold said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyvvie said...

Two hours a day five days a week - I'm lucky to not have a full time job outside parenting otherwise I'd never manage. But I'll do an aerobics class or spinning class for an hour, and then follow with a weights routine finish off with a mile on the treadmill.

When I started in the gym, I struggled to keep active on any machine for 10 minutes. It's taken a year to get up to the two hours comfortably. It took me three months to run a mile without dying. The body does learn, does adapt - keep going and persevere and it'll work for you too.

Maja said...

Wow, so the plateau is over! 7 pounds is a lot to lose in one week, but if you feel healthy, then it must be okay.

Michael said...

Oh gawd. How I miss Glasgow. Edinburgh. Scotland!! I used to spend most of my working life up there for the longest time and just went home at the weekend. Good times.

Take lots of photos and post them. PLEEEAAASSSE!

Lyvvie said...

All right, all right I'm charging up the batteries in my camera today!

Lyvvie said...

I never realised others noticed my plateau issues, I must talk about it more then I thought, and I won't say it's over yet. From November, when my Mom came to visit and I had been on the anti-anxiety med for 8 weeks, I got worrysome and began to over-eat again. From November to now I gained weight back. I won't count the plateau over until my weight drops below a certain point.

I've also been off the meds for two months now so I hope that will have a positive effect as I suspect they played merry hell with my metabolism and contributed to the weight gain. I am proud of myself that I kept with my fitness despite all of it - weight up weight down, I've still got my fitness and that is the hope I cling to.

SafeTinspector said...

My mom and stepdad are the trolls to end all trolls. If you leave their house with room in your stomach then either they have failed you or you have stopped loving them.
Polish catholic values, I suppose.