Monday, May 07, 2007

Smart Bitches Day!

Today is SBD where we take part in reviewing books that have a lean towards but necessarily must be romance. Actually - it can be any book, I think the rules have loosened up a bit.

Many moons ago, Beth(Our hostess with the lovely shining locks and desperately cute feet regardless of what she feels about them I think they are adorable and I'm not even a fetishist or anything like that!) wrote a review of Nicolo Rising by Dorothy Dunnett. On her review (which I can't find! and I've trawled through all her SBDs for the past two years and I'm sure it was around December when she talked about it...) I bought the book. I've been reading it sporadically for the past few weeks - my time is very limited and I have the curse of literature interupptus which is when someone says "OH! You're reading. What's it about? I've been reading blah blah bother blah..." and I am on: page 149. Don't laugh at me; and I'm it's only now getting some momentum.

When I read a book I'll read it at it's own pace. A fast paced book will be read and done in no time. A slow paced one, like this one, takes me weeks to get to page 150. At this point I still have no clue what's going on, where the story is taking me and who, indeed is the story is about. I admit I may be used to the formula of we meet hero, we meet heroine and then enjoy their first meeting. I don't think that's going to happen here. I feel more like a ghostly tag-a-long who sighs and kicks stones waiting for some action to get interested in.

I admit as well I just had to cheat a wee bit in the book. I went to Amazon and read some of the reviews. To find out if there really is a main character and that the story should start taking off from about now - as I've just read the bit where the trading group have arrived in Geneva. I found out that the main character will be Claes. They did focus a bit of attention on him and his cocker spaniel personality on a stallion's physique. See, the cheat was worth it because somehow this shag-about, smiling, simpleton-oddish sort of boy is going to become a banking bigwig in Switzerland. Ok, I'd like to see that character development.

I kind of have a soft spot for Julius, the accountant, and had thought it would turn into his story. But I feel it unjust to make him a simply notary and number cruncher, although I can see how he'll become more important later on. I hope so anyways - seriously if anyone deserves some loving and release it's Julius. But I'm undecided on whether he may be gay...suppose I'll find out. Maybe.

The kind of bummer thing is I'm craving a Gothic, dark romance kind of story. Not quite Sherrilyn Kenyon, but not quite Bram Stoker either. Any suggestions?

I totally want to buy these shoes there are hideous and cool. Jeans will love them. I love these too. but gosh - expensive!

17 comments:

Blazngfyre said...

I want those shoes!
Both pairs!

Lyvvie said...

They both look like they'd be really comfy don't they?

Blazngfyre said...

Oh yes!

I REALLY LOVE the first pair!
They're ugly beautiful!
Honestly, totally geekalicious, but so ....... chic! lol

Beth said...

A. Niccolo Rising is not a book I'd recommend to a mother of toddlers. It requires focus and attention and an earnest, almost scholarly curiosity. If you're capable of all that AND housemotherhood, well then I think we'd have to consider you a freak of nature.

B. I heart Fleuvogs.

Antonio said...

I love those shoes too. They would look good with a nice summer dress by the beach. I wish I could help on the romance novel. I started writing one a long time ago but I never finished it and finally lost it. I am a slow reader and prefer short stories. :) Nice blog.

Antonio

Michael said...

I just can't picture myself in those shoes, summer dress or not. I'm more of a slingback-wellies-with-short-white-ankle-socks kinda guy when it comes to footwear.

Lyvvie said...

White socks with rubber slingbacks?! How 80's are you?!

ddsusan said...

Hi Lyvvie, You don't know me but I wanted to tell you that a yahoogroup called DDANZ (Dororthy Dunnett Australia and New Zealand) has *just* started reading House of Niccolo. They are doing two chapters a week. I don't know if I can read that slow...I've already gone a little ahead. They are a very nice group of people and the questions are good. They don't mind *any* kind of question and there are a few first time readers there (so they are trying not to spoil things). They would LOVE that you live in Scotland :)

Lyvvie said...

How brilliant is that?!! I'll be there asap thanks DDSusan!

Kristin said...

I wish I could remember the name of this truly bizarre and engrossing dark tale. But maybe just describing the plot will help someone identify it. I really enjoyed it, in a sick, twisted kinda way.

Anyway, it's the story of an orphan who grows up in a convent. But the bizarre part is that it turns out this 'girl' is actually an hermaphrodite! And destined to become some kind of super-powerful witch...because, I guess, only hermaphrodites have the super-duper witch powers. Anyway, from that point on it gets all sick and twisted and bizarre and creepy.

It was very much inspired by Anne Rice, I am sure.

Anyone got the name of this thing? Because I am sure a sequel was planned...just by the way it ended.

Kristin said...

Oooh! I just found the book by doing a Google search on "book hermaphrodite witch." Gotta love the old Google!

The book is called The Book of Shadows by James Reece. And I just found out there *is* a sequel.

So, if you're looking for something strange and engrossing, this is the book for you.

Lyvvie said...

Brilliant!! Just what I'll need once Niccolo is finished...or do I continue on with the other seven books of the Niccolo series?? ARG!

Again thanks, let's hope it's better than the last hermaphrodite witch book I read *cough*wicked*cough*

Despondent about my non buying shoes that are great depression, I was on YIM last night helping someone else buy shoes instead. I'm now a shoe pusher.

Kristin said...

I hope you like it. Didn't think it was my cup of tea, but it was one of those books you just keep reading and reading because it's a like a train wreck is about to happen just around the corner.

Sarah said...

OH.
MY.
GOSH.

You have EXCELLENT shoe taste. I'm SO IN LOVE with the first pair.

And can I just say, I love that you take a book at it's own pace. It's very respectful to the writing.

You're beautiful!

Michael said...

80's? Moi?? I prefer 'retro chic'.

Lyvvie said...

For you Michael!! Now you need those frilly fold over socks and you Rockin' that Retro Hard!!

Michael said...

Now we're cooking with charcoal. They are SO me!

~Gone shopping~