Friday, April 13, 2007

You're an 80's kid if...

  1. You had a crush on one of the New Kids on the Block members. (EW! No! Motley Crue Baby!)
  2. You wanted to be on StarSearch. (I would've won it too.)
  3. You ever uttered the word "Radical!" (I may have...I'm more likely to have said "Rad.")
  4. You wore jelly shoes and jelly bracelets (Guilty. they were only $3 at Kmart!)
  5. You thought "Ghostbusters" was by far the coolest movie (Still is. I saw it on big screen - awesome!)
  6. You remember watching shows like "Punky Brewster" , "Webster", "You Can't Do That On Television" , "Wild&Crazy Kids" and "Double Dare" (Ayuh.)
  7. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off. Or even when he had those freaky eyes in "Thriller" at the end of the video. (I remember I didn't have cable when Thriller was released and I was on the phone for the whole 15 minutes to my friend who described the video to me.)
  8. You wore a banana clip in your hair or one of those slap on wrist bands at some point during your youth. (I still want a banana clip...are they back in fashion yet?)
  9. You rolled up the bottoms of your splatter painted jeans. (NO, I Pegged my splatter paint jeans TYVM.)
  10. You wore loafers with everything, and you put the laces in those little rolls. (Not me, I was a hi-top sneaker girl)
  11. You had slouch socks, and puff painted your own shirt at least once. (How did they know?! HOW?!!)
  12. You owned a doll with 'Xavier Roberts' signed on it's butt. (Yeah, but she was a gift.)
  13. You knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout." (fatties)
  14. You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off." (Sandaflah!)
  15. You can name half of the members of the elite "Brat Pack." (Half? I know them all and their sub genres support casts)
  16. You can remember watching Full House and Saved by the Bell for endless hours! (I admit to Full house, but only because Blackie is HoT! SBTB was for kids)
  17. You have seen at least 10 episodes of Fraggle Rock. (Anything Jim Henson is/was cool.)
  18. You yearned to be a member of The Babysitters Club, and tried to start a club of your own. (Nope, I was not a reader.)
  19. You sat on your back porch, playing with your "My Little Pony" , "Rainbow Brite" , and "Strawberry Shortcake" dolls (Again, I was a bit too old for that, but I did envy my niece's ones.)
  20. You know that another name for a keyboard is a "Synthesizer." (It still is, right?")
  21. You hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future." (Oh yes.)
  22. You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name."(I thought that was because I was from Massachusetts.)
  23. You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool. (No, I disliked her because everyone told me "Wow you look like Molly Ringwald!" and I was denied my individuality.)
  24. You know what "sike" and "not!" mean (FFS - It's "Psyche" not sike. What a dweeb you are.)
  25. You fell victim to 80's fashion : big hair, crimped, combed over to the side, big hoop earrings, and possibly the worst:you wore spandex pants. (Guilty as charged.)
  26. You wanted to be a Goonie, or Elliot from E.T. (er No.)
  27. You owned an extensive collection of Cabbage Patch Kids and trolls. (Again no. I had one CPD and it was a gift. I didn't even ask for it. Damn it I liked Barbie!)
  28. You knew "The Artist" when he was humbly called "Prince." (And I saw him perform "Little Red Corvette" on Solid Gold, and memorized the dance routines from "Purple Rain".)
  29. You actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played "Sam" to be. (No, he was always too old for me.)
  30. You ever wore flourescent -neon if you will clothing.... (Yup - and isn't it great it's back in fashion!! I tried to be a Lifeguard just to wear neon.)
  31. You could breakdance, or wished you could. (No, not really. I wanted to tap dance. But just did that *0's arms up kind of dance instead)
  32. You know who He-Man and She-Ra are. (Well duh.)
  33. You remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system. (No, I wanted a colecoevision.)
  34. You know all the words to "Ice Ice Baby". (See answer to #1)
  35. You remember MC hammer well. (I try to forget...)
  36. You can still sing the rap to "Fresh Prince of Belair". (Hee hee - I CAN!)
  37. You own any cassettes. (They have all been phased out. I only own a couple that were Weird Al broadcasts on Dr. Demento.)
  38. You were led to believe that in the year 2000 we'd all be living on the moon. (No, I never looked into the future beyond Prom.)
  39. You remember and/or own any of the CareBear Glass collection from PizzaHut. (Huh?!)
  40. Pizza Hut was the coolest place to hang. (No, it was the coffee shop at the bus station)
  41. Poltergeist freaked you out. (100% totally freaked me out!! It was the boy eating tree!! and the maggot steak!!)
  42. You carried your lunch to school in a Gremlins or an E.T. lunchbox. (Nope, hot lunch thanks)
  43. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf. (Well no, she was created by Gargamel to lure the Smurfs to him. Otherwise there was no need for a girl smurf as new smurfs are made on a blue moon)
  44. You wanted to communicate with some being named Cinergy, or you wanted green hair like that lead singer of the Misfits. (*sigh* I did envy those girls, silently, from afar and played with my friend's little sister's dolls)
  45. You totally LOVED Barbie's cooler, punkier counterpart, "Jem" and her "Rockers" (I loved Barbie and Jem's clothes didn't fit her and I thought that was ASS!)
  46. You wanted to have an alien like Alf living in your house. (NOOoooooooo!!!)
  47. You wore biker shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish. (I don't think so.)
  48. You wore tights under shorts and felt stylish. (Hell yeah! And I was! It was grunge fashion, denim shorts, black tights, paratrooper boots and a long flannel shirt.)
  49. You layered your multi-colored slouch socks, and added suspenders to make your outfit complete. (I only wore rainbow suspenders because Mork was my idol.)
  50. You ever had a Swatch Watch. (no. They were too expensive. I hated the girl at school who wore six - two on each arm and one on each ankle. fucking show off.)
  51. You actually spent countless hours trying to perfect the care-bear stare. (I was a TEENAGER in the 80's)
  52. You had a crush on one of the Coreys (Not they were both too short.)
  53. You remember when Saturday Night Live was funny. (That was the 70's...)
  54. You had WonderWoman or Superman underwear. (I still do.)
  55. You wanted to be The Hulk for Halloween. (I want to have sex with Hulk Hogan on Halloween - well any day really, didn't matter. He could be green too if he wanted.)
  56. You believed that "By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power" (TEEN-A-GER!!!)
  57. You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye. (I thought they were annoying toys that my nephew could work out and I couldn't. It was a toy for 10 year old eliteism. Maximus Prime can bite my Glutes.)
  58. Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SO far away!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I never understood the concept until it actually was 1999)
  59. You ever owned or wanted any of the NKOTB action figures or dolls. (Only for campfire kindling)
  60. You remember when Deborah Gibson was "Debbie" Gibson. (She's changed it?!)

4 comments:

Robin F said...

Ghostbusters is great! I recently found it in a charity shop for just a couple of pounds and rewatched it for the first time in years. It really is as good if not better than I remembered.

Chunks said...

Loved. This. So. Much.

I long for the 80s. hahah

Anonymous said...

Ok, I TOTALLY relate to the list in black. But whoever wrote in the crabby little comments in red -- you're like, so b*tchy, and completely missed the point of the list - plus, it's obvious you WERE NOT an 80's child, but a 90's child, escpecially talking about the grundge look, which had ZILCH to do with the 80's. Git a clue, girlfriend!

Lyvvie said...

I'm so glad I'm like Bitchy with an asshole in the middle - how enlightened I must be! I was very much a child an 80's kid. Gen X all the way. I was a college student in the 90's, but graduated high school 1989.

So you know where you can sticketh thine "girlfriend" poser. No wait! Bitchy with an asshole in the middle would spell that: Poseur. That's better.