Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Aftermath...

It's a real shame I went and gave this blog address out to so many folks because I have a huge pile of family gossip to spill and I'm not allowed to share because "We don't air out dirty laundry for the world to see!" and I don't even think it's all that dirty, I mean a good soak and handwash scrub would clear it all up. A little care and attention is all that's needed. But what's dirty is the annoying and obsessive "I'm the Martyr here!" "No I am the real martyr, and this is why!" back and forth and it's just getting so tired. There's trouble in paradise. Thank God it's not my paradise that's under threat though, but to have to watch from afar; it's like watching one of those really bad horror films that's kind of funny but the gory bits you have watching through popcorn scented fingers.

We had a great Christmas day, one of the best yet! The kids behaved, mostly. We took account of the presents excitement and sugar overload. Shorty spent most of the day skipping about in her fairy princess costume drowned in pink and purple plastic beads like Mr. T's gold. Sassy was content, once she got her Roboreptile she was in heaven and spent a good part of the day shouting "Don't bite mummy! that's naughty. Naughty robot." with her being the mummy.

We had Great-Grandma over for Christmas lunch for the first time. She's never seen our home before, we always go over to hers. The reason she was with us is all down to the before mentioned drama that I'm allowed to discuss. I'll just say that the original plans to go to my in-laws for lunch fell through and we were all told at 6pm on x-mas eve not to come over. I always prepare way too much food so it was no problem at all for us to accommodate Grandma and she was delighted. I adore Grandma Betty, she and I get along so well and I have the deepest respect for her. She's 86, has one leg and still drives, still has the most beautiful garden and the dirt under her nails to show for it, and she's funny. She's so funny. She has tons of friends that she goes on trips with - I'm looking forward to my 80's because she's shown me how much fun it can be.

Anyways, lunch was honey roast ham, roast potatoes, baked stuffing and carrots with sugar snap peas. Chocolate bombe and cherry pie for dessert (I ruined the pie, the crust was too thick but the filling was nice. It was a dissect-a-pie) mulled wine, red wine and port. The kids ate well, we drank well and everyone was very happy.

Shorty's favorite present was the Barbie airplane, I bought Hubs a gift certificate for a massage (and I'll clarify for you as I did for my various family members that it's a professional, salon massage, not one done by redeemable me with a love coupon.) and I got the DS...which I have to share with everyone. No surprises. Ah well. I'm not too disappointed, I did spend enough on myself to make up for it.

I'm going to get more coffee, do tons of laundry and try and make sure the kids keep their new toys in their own space and not strewn all over the house.

I'm really wanting a cigarette in the post stress holiday downtime.

7 comments:

Hsien Lei said...

Happy Holidays! We've featured your post at the Play Library Christmas Toy Review. :)

NWJR said...

I broke down and stole a ciggie from my sleazy brother-in-law yesterday because the stress just made me snap. It didn't help, because it forced me to have a conversation with the SB-I-L while smoking it.

Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

Santa will strike your name next year ts ts ts

Chunks said...

Ohhh if you need someone to unload the family gossip onto, email me!! hahah! Family. I stay as far away from mine as possible. It's the only way to stay sane.

Maja said...

One ciggie won't kill you...

my christmas was nothing special really, but it was nice to hang with my parents on christmas eve.

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Sounds nice.

Weren't you guys going to pool your gift money together for a Nintendo?

Lyvvie said...

Yes. That was my present. The one I get to share with the whole family. It's a sensitive point, I wouldn't go poking about in it. I would've been happy with a box of chocolate covered cherries.