Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I give in.

Well, the computer died again. This time it was the graphics card. Having to re-boot several times per session and then having it crash while trying to do something important once it got its shit together was just a cry in the daylight that its time had come. We've let it go.

So I'm on the laptop again. Mom is here and do I really think I'm going to complete nanowrimo now? Yeah right.

Husband took the day off yesterday to get Mom from the airport with me (well for me as I don't drive) and he was quietly happy that the PC died. "Oh no. Darn. Guess we have to buy a new one now. heh heh heh." but he began his confusing spin out of, do we buy this bit or that bit will this work blah blah. Finally I just said the words he's been desperate to hear for years "Just buy the Mac."

"What'd you say?"

"Just do it. Buy the Mac. The big one. The £1400 one. Just go and buy it."

"Don't tease me woman, are you sure about this?" (who could say no to the childish gleam of new toy joy and excitement in his eyes)

"Yup. Go do it now if you want. You have the day off, so just go buy it."

"No, I'll order it up online and get this blah blah that blah...."

Well he's never been happier. He's reassured me we'll pay it off in a year. I'm not sure which one it is, all I know is its got all of its guts in the 24" monitor and a super good graphics card that's Doom3 worthy (it's how we judge the quality of such things - is it able to play Doom?) So now I'm sure LBB and NWJR will be happy to welcome a new Mac family member, and you'll have to share your hints and tips and helpful websites for me to visit.

I just know the house is going to look silly with a 24 inch monitor next to a 28 inch TV. It just screams nerdy-dorkishness and a lack of decorative design flair. But it's done. And it'll be delivered around the 22nd.

I'm off to the gym this morning. I need it very, very much. In my new sneakers too dontchyaknow.

5 comments:

Chill Daddy said...

Why am I getting the feeling that your mother's presence inspires stress? You know, a good way to relax is to write 50,000 words in a month with your mom reading over your shoulder, holding....

A: a megaphone
B: a cold beer
C: a bass guitar
D: a crying baby

Lyvvie said...

A: Well I am a wee bit deaf.

B: Bring it on, baby!

C: that's just trippy.

D: That's giving me hives at the very thought.

Just getting into chapter three, handwritten. I'm going to spend some time trancribing to the laptop this afternoon and tonight. I want to feel the achievment of a fab wordcount to distract me from all the Oreo cookies and dark chocolate M&Ms Mother brought with her.

NWJR said...

YAY for yummy maccy goodness!

You'll love it. And yes, you know where to come with questions.

Welcome to the cult.

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Welcome to the Macintosh Mafia. Once you go Mac, you don't go back.

Prepare to be amazed.

Maja said...

It's going to be awesome. You'll love it.