Friday, September 15, 2006

Ah yes, it's hard to be good.

Today is payday. I've been struggling to keep within a tight budget all month and kind of failed again. My biggest downfall - the grocery store. I keep spending the odd tenner here and there on specials, or discounted items thinking I'm saving money, not really spending it. I really need to stop this.

It's a new way of feeding the bargain hunter within me. I used to bargain spend on clothes in the Gap; before I knew it we all had way too many clothes and I was sending huge bags of it out to charities. Then it was cheap book club books until we had so many we couldn't move house for all the heavy boxes of books. Now it's the yellow tag section of Tesco and buy one get one free deals. Why am I such a sucker for sales marketing?

So, as a way to curb this, I've started ordering groceries online and having them delivered. This way I can stick to my shopping list, budget, diet and keep out of trouble. I used to do this because I don't drive and carrying all we needed on the bus was pure hell with a toddler strapped to my back. I think I've paid my dues in that area.

It does help me stick to my diet. It's not so easy to talk me into impulse buying sweets. I did have some cookies on the list, two tubs of ice cream and bagels which were all on special prices, but I have the luxury of making the order on a Monday and having it delivered on Friday and in the days in between I can check and recheck the list to make sure I've not been silly. So I've managed to whittle the list down to necessities and no extra junk - gone are the cookies, ice cream and bagels. Ok, the kids get popsicles which are cheap and not so bad so far as treats go. I can go back and police myself. It costs extra for delivery but I think it may be ok.

Off to the gym gym gym to pay my dues to be slim slim slim.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyvvie! We've used the grocery delivery feature with one of our local grocery stores for a few years now and we've sat down and crunched the numbers. Even with paying $15.00 a pop for the delivery we've still saved a lot of money by avoiding impulse buying.
WMS

Maja said...

I went to the supermarket last night and spent 370 bucks. Then I bought 6 bottles of wine.. another 75 bucks.

Today, Geezer and I spent nearly 200 bucks in a big hardware (we bought lots of plants). We also spent over 300 bucks on 2 dozen bottles of wine (good wine, though). HOpefully this wine lasts us a few months! Probably last at least one.... we drank 3 bottles today.

So anyway, that's nearly a grand in less than 2 days. I bet you can't beat that!

Lyvvie said...

Egads!! £370?? Are you having a party? Is that a normal grocery bill in Australia? I think I'd have a coronary if the till finalled on that. Hell I had a panic attack over a £200 watermelon!

Wine I can understand spending on - good wine is worth every penny, but food? Nah. Rather go hungry and just drink the wine ;)

Maja said...

370 dollars is about 120 pounds..

We do love food :)

SafeTinspector said...

Since the baby was born, we've lived upon my income alone.
BUdgeting is far less fun than pissing away the surplus...

Lyvvie said...

Amen SafT.

Blazngfyre said...

AACK!!!

I do the exact same thing ... and then try and justify it!

Help ....

Sylvana said...

Online ordering and delivery of groceries?! And I thought we were living in luxury because our grocery store bags our groceries and has drive-up!

NWJR said...

The only food I ever get delivered is Pizza, or the occasional Chinese.

*sigh*

Manblogger641 said...

HEEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO????? Where you be Lyvvie?

Anonymous said...

Hey, landed on your blog, nice stuff. I found a cool new tool for our blogs... www.widgetmate.com It helps get latest news for our keywords directly on to our blog. I added it on mine. Worked like a charm.