Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Chicken Butt...

A few things have me wondering this morning.

While making breakfast with a recipe I got from Doug's Thursday Thirteen for Bull's eye toast (Sassy loved it - Thanks Doug!!) but I can't find the post because I'm speed blogging...I'm supposed to be getting everyone ready for school, work, gym and creche. Anyways - While making my breakfast; a four eggwhite one whole egg omlette, I cracked open a fertilized egg. At first I was quite grossed out, it was all bloody looking and starting to get veins. But I thought...commercial eggs were all unfertilized because they don't keep cockerels around to do the business. But...will a chicken lay eggs if there's no cockerel around? Yeah of course they should, I mean, technically I lay an egg every month and I imagine if I was left on a deserted island I'd still ovulate. Why did I think the male had to present to make such a thing happen?
preening_chickens_lg

So then I'm thinking, these free range chickens are obviously getting some action somewhere on this farm. How far does "free range" actually go? Are they hooking up with some woodland locals? Are there rogue cockerels out there, like chicken rape gangs? How is it my egg got hit...I want to know, because after that icky incident, I cracked open ANOTHER fertilized egg. Well, that certainly put me off my breakfast, and I'll make a phone call to the shop to complain. I did know country folks who would still have eaten them, but not me.

So the other thing I want to know about, which Meagan (click her link on the right to see what I mean) made me consider with her post yesterday, is about the new Transformers. optimusThe new ones are Space defenders. They fly about in spaceships, but they're the same Transformers from my youth...so these space defenders still turn into Mack Trucks, motorcycles and cars. How can that be effective in space? Why didn't they create a whole new gang of Transformers that turn into space gliders, speeders and rockets? It makes perfect sense to me. I mean, how many generations of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers have there been, and they're still just as popular. I think someone out there has too much of a love interest in Optimus Prime to let him be upgraded.

I really hate cheap cartoons. I hated a lot of those Hanna Barbera ones as a kid, you just knew they were crap: crap quality, crap story, crap characters. arkiv_hannaybarbera Nothing like the awe inspiring Looney Toons. The old Tom and Jerry cartoons are super too - they went through a decline in the 60's but then, really, that was the decade of fashion crime - not the 80's, but the 60's. Although, I did love the Flintstones as a kid, but they jumped the shark (I never knew the origin of that expression - neat! I found a whole Jump the Shark website, it's neat too!) when they brought babies into the mix. Pebbles and Bam-Bam indeed...and they let then grow up to be teenagers. Makes me want to shake my head in pity. Same again for when Scooby Doo introduced Scrappy doo...I don't like Scrappy. Mediocre cartoons are a crime.

one last thing...why do kids have to talk back about things that really don't warrant the sass? I mean - I got lip this morning for asking where Sassy's bus money was. She lost it, again, and she yells at me like it was my fault! The cheek. She got an earful this morning, let me tell you. There's only one more week of school, and next year I'm getting her a bus pass; she can't be trusted to keep her coins. I looked into the bullying possibility and the buying candy one too, but it's genuinely just her being a goof and losing her money. The teacher even collects the coins to give back to them at the end of the day so no one goes treasure hunting in the coatroom. But to make it out like it was my fault...that kid has a lot of things to learn and it looks like she's wanting to learn them the hard way.

7 comments:

ChinaBounder said...

I like that entry, you made me laugh. Voted for you on BE!

Lyvvie said...

Thanks! Very nice of you to say.

NWJR said...

Jane Jetson was a babe, though. I think Betty Rubble was her sister...

Jane and Betty. Mmmmm.....

tornwordo said...

Yeah, I don't get how the commercial egg could be fertilized. Maybe cocks spray their semen in aerosol form and eggs get fertilized a la flowers and pollen?

Bananna said...

My kids give me lip about stupid stuff too like "It's NOT a SANDLE it is a SHOE!!!"

What??!

SafeTinspector said...

There was a Transformers cartoon in the late eighties/early nineties that had Transformers in space. They all turned into spacey looking stuff, though.

I dunno....
AUTOBOTS! MOVE OUT!

shoopska said...

i agree, hanna barbera has always been lame. looney tunes on the other hand... i mean, how good is daffy. no matter how old i get, he always makes me laugh.
did you ever see he-man and she-ra? that (and transformers) were my fave cartoons when i was a kid. i also loved a polish one about a little bee called maja, but you probably didn't catch get that on the other side of the iron curtain!