Tuesday, March 07, 2006

What do you think??

pict1171

I was leafing through the local free-papers on Friday, when this very curious advertisement caught my attention. I was quite shocked and amused at first; I wonder what exactly the message is? Is it that if you ignore Jesus you'll get your head kicked in? Is it a bit more "other-worldly" ominous where ignoring Jesus will cause you to have an accident?

What about those of us who haven't really heard Jesus lately, or weren't around when he came knocking on the front door. If I was walking down a busy street, preoccupied in thought and accidentally ignored him will I too be cursed to a black eye and broken arm?

The more I thought about this, the angrier I got. What message goes out to other religions? Are they ignoring Jesus by practicing their own beliefs? Will they be subjected to violence for their actions? The message is very suggestive. I can't decide if it's on the annoyance scale of a spam chain letter "Send this to five people immediately or something terrible will happen to you in the next 24 hours" or does this run deeper, and far more sinister? As I type this, my fingers are twitching to phone the Fellowship and ask whoever's in charge what their thinking is behind it.

I tend not to be a religious sort. I like the freedom to create my own rituals, and path to closeness with God. And I keep my beliefs to myself, and judge no one else on theirs - unless they're clubbing kittens or something nasty like that. Does anyone else think this is equally objectionable - the overt threat of physical violence for ignoring Jesus?

Sadly, every time I try and phone them up it's busy. I wonder if they've taken the phone off the hook?

16 comments:

Manblogger641 said...

I think what they mean is your soul is hurt when your not going to church or believe in Jesus. I do not think they mean that you will get physically hurt if you choose not to believe.
PS We've all missed you.

J.a.G. said...

I wonder if they really though about what they were trying to convey with that image/ad. I too think it is loaded.

NWJR said...

Jesus tried to take the wheel this morning, and when I jerked it out of His hands, he beat the living crap out of me.

I think that's what they're trying to say.

Or something.

I dunno.

Gerbera Daisy said...

I, too, keep my beliefs to myself and try not to judge anyone else on theirs. I hate when religion is forced upon me.

Glad to have you back, Lyvvie!!! :-)

shoopska said...

call em up, give em a spray... that's ridiculous!

and offensive.

if it's not exactly saying "believe or we'll beat you", it seems to be saying "look what happens if you don't believe" - as if jesus-lovers are immune from pain and suffering. what crock!!

tornwordo said...

That is really a heinous advert, makes my blood boil too.

Where ya been? I had almost given up.

Glad to see you again.

Sylvana said...

Apparently Jesus is one bad mo-fo!

SafeTinspector said...

Jesus is going to beat me up! Damn! (exactly)

Nancy J. Bond said...

It's exactly this type of thing that drove me away from the strict and traditional Christian beliefs I grew up with. This insulting ad suggests intolerance of anyone who dares to exist without Christ in their life. It's offensive in the extreme.

I'm with you -- my relationship with God is a personal one, but I choose my own path. I'm not surprised their phone is busy! :)

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

I always like to ask myself, What Would Jesus Blog?

ZUBA said...

It's not exactly a 'eat/drink this and you will be cool & have a successful lifestyle' advert is it?!
Or maybe it's one of those turn the other cheek things, uh uh......

Lyvvie said...

If anyone fancies giving them a call, just add 44 to the start of the phone number, and drop the first 0. Let us all know if you get through. Let me know if you need an interpreter.

Kristin said...

wow... apparently the Jesus these folks know has a crappy attitude... a bit more cultish than I like my God to be...

Maja said...

Hmm, that ad makes me angry, too. Beliefs are a very personal thing and I hate that religions think they have the right to force their views on others. I guess a lot of them think they are helping people and many of them are.. but each to their own. We live in such a diverse world these days, and there's more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes.

I hope this menas you're going to post a bit more regularly again! Missed you heaps :)

Innocent Bystander said...

Maybe Jesus wants us to burn people's embassies... or at leat give their arms a chinese burn!

Weary Hag said...

LBB has an excellent point there.

I don't care for the ad myself. In fact, it kind of slays me whenever I see advertisements for a church. That in itself kind of sends me a message loud and clear.

(hey thanks a ton for playing my little quiz game at The Outpost, Lyvvie! It's GREAT to see you again.)