Thursday, March 16, 2006

Lookie Lookie!!

Look what I found on the beach recently. It's a Thing!! I'm not sure if it's a fossil, or just a lump of coral. We don't have reefs here, so if it is coral it's come a long way. Or it really is a fossil from when the UK was tropical - you know from way back when dinosaurs were here.

It certainly looks like old bone, all full of holes and pores. I found it while looking for gray and white stones to pilfer for my garden (it's against the law to take stones from the beaches, but I'm not taking them far you see.)

Sassy's taken it to school from show-and-tell, but the teacher didn't know. I plan on bringing it to the University, but haven't been able to make an appointment. So do any of you know what it is?

pict1176
pict1172

I have a thing about rocks, I'm always looking for the perfect one. I have kept this one for many years, I found it on a beach (that no longer exists, as it fell into the sea shortly after I visited. Califonia is scary.) near San Francisco when I was there for my brother's wedding. It's completely gray, except for the perfect heart on the top of it. It's my all time favourite. I always think of the song "I left my heart in San Francisco" with a wicked grin, and think "I've got it now."
pict1178

10 comments:

J.a.G. said...

It sort of looks like it could be bone. It appears rather porous.

Cool find.

NWJR said...

Heh. The rock has a heart on.

Heh.

MoMMY said...

It kind of looks like a sponge. A fossilized sponge?

gusgreeper said...

i love those/your rocks.
i have a pet rock. i love my pet rock. my pet rock is the BEST! :)

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

That ain't nothing but a piece of dinosaur dung.

Worth 3 or 4 dollars on eBay.

Maja said...

Wow! What an awesome looking thing! It does look like some sort of multi-organism reef building thing.. my palaeontology is verrry rusty. It would have to be a fossil, but I couldn't tell you whether it was hundreds or thousands or millions of years old.

That rock is sooooooooo cool! I must have another look at it...

Weary Hag said...

The rock: come on Lyvvie ... fess up. You painted that heart on there with White-Out didn't you?

The "thing": Very intriguing. I'll bet if you call Geraldo, he will make a big unveiling show of it on television and crack it open with a hammer to find um ... absolutely nothing.

Just kidding ... actually, I would do exactly as you said - bring it to an expert at the university. It's very unique and the pock marks on it are quite uniform. Usually fossil markings are more erratic.

I like beach findings too!

Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

it looks like a hardened sand.

Andi said...

I'm puttin' my money on sponge!

aughra said...

I love that. That's the kind of thing I would take home from the beach.