Saturday, December 03, 2005

Life is good.

Sorry for the quiet, but things are going well. Predictable, dull and trouble free. I've got nothing much to say these days. The kids are being really well behaved (Sassy just earned her 25 meter swimming badge) and I spend a lot of my time reading or curled up on the sofa with a hot cup of tea. I dance with Short-Stack and build towers with blocks, I cook vegan recipes to see what she likes. I write the occasional short story, help Sassy with her homework and do my chores. I practice writing Japanese characters on the refrigerator but I have no real clue what they mean; I hope one day I'll figure it out. It's like when a kid learns the Alphabet song - it's just a bunch of sounds put to a tune but one day you figure out those sounds mean something more. One day it'll make sense and when it does, I'll be annoying every Japanese tourist I happen by.

Christmas is bought and just needs wrapped, but still waiting to decorate the house. I'm going to buy a dinky-wee tree for putting on the table and not bother with a huge tree. Sew a couple ornaments with Sassy, maybe bake some cookies. Life will be good.

I did go and see the Dr. about the blahs, just in case it was thyroid thing or something else. He said I had sub-syndromal Seasonal Affective Disorder. I asked him if really, there was nothing wrong with me but he just wanted to slap a label on me so I'd feel better. He just smiled. I'm not depressed, I keep telling folks this. Why is it if you're not jumping around jolly and spry you may be depressed. I'm content, if a bit lazy but that runs in my family. I told the Dr. I disagreed with him, thanked him for his time and the tests and left.

I really find the need for people to have "something" annoying. As if you are a nobody unless you have some ailment. Do we all know someone who has a string of ills that they must inform us (and undoubtedly everyone else they come in contact with) about in a begging for pity manner? I have a sister in law who has for many years, come up with a new ailment every year ranging from cystitis, depression, backache, circulation trouble blah blah blah when in reality she's just fat and incredibly, unbearably fucking lazy. She gathers dust with her immobility. She's also the sort to create elaborate lies so you feel pity for her "Awwww...poor wee thing, she has it so tough." Poop. She's just a nut and she chooses to live in poverty because she's too lazy to get a job. Anyways, that's a rant for another day...It's just I had to spend time with the fat cow over the weekend and she has a lasting black fog effect, and I'll have to see her again in a couple weeks' time. I'm hoping she'll call it off and claim her kids are sick (They are always "sick" but again, she gets so much attention for it I don't think those kids are as sick as she claims. They are always rosy, bouncy and proper rowdy herberts.) It's the type of bullshit I can't tolerate, because there are people out there who really do have illness and still live an exciting life, or have kids who are struggling but still fight for happiness...and there she is, the tart, lying about it for sympathy and a pat on the head. Makes me...well was going to say sick but...

Anyways, *I* am not sick. I am quite warm and fuzzy. Everyone here is glowing with health and life and we are all full of love, and excitement for the holidays coming our way. I pray you are all the same.

Life is good.

18 comments:

NWJR said...

An oddly sweet post.

Hope all is well with you. Enjoy life...

Bennet said...

You seem calm, delightfully happy. That is good...Very good.

I really don't like seeking magic pills because we all know they don't fix anything. Usually they throw the body's natural self repair so far out of wack that it becomes an endless need to supply more pills that cause more problems....

But you're happy....good..enjoy.

SafeTinspector said...

Oh...you're sick, alright.

Sylvana said...

S.A.D. is quite real. It is part of the reason that suicides increase so dramatically during the winter months (that and that grand depression called Christmas).

But you do not need medicine for it. What you need is more natural light. You can get that by going outside...er, what am I saying you live in gray Scotland. You can get it through special natural light lamps. Just twenty minutes a day will make a huge difference!

Gerbera Daisy said...

Glad to have you back. Sounds like things are going well for you. The Seasonal disorder thing...I think I get that every year because I REALLY have a hard time with December and January.

Lyvvie said...

I completely agree that SAD really affects some people, but I don't think it applies to me.

I object to the need to label any wee ailment/emotion/dip in libido/ whatever as a "medical condition" that requires a chemical solution. I 100% agree with Bennet; these drugs they toss about like sweets are causing more harm than good to a lerger percentage of people who don't really need them. what they need is fresh air, a pair of sneakers and to get moving.

Doctors don't seem willing to tell folks "You're deperessed because you're fat and eat shit all day. I'll prescribe you a bushell of carrots and apples, a pair of Nike trainers and a three month membership at the sports center. Come back and see me when the soles are worn through." They aren't encouraging people to take care of themselves.

I am, however, booking in to see a nutritionist. I've recently given up eggs (Since short-stack is allergic to them, I've banned them for me too.) and I noticed I feel better. I'd like to know what other food sensitivities I have.

Anyways...I'm not knocking genuinely sick people, just sad tossers who can't be bothered to sort themsleves out first and consider drug treatment as a last resort.

FFFrapgirl said...

Glad to hear you are well Lyvvie! I am too and all is well in PA! I hate people that stagnate too and claim their fat lazy asses are sick! Not sick of food though and the tv! Well have a good one!

tornwordo said...

I think people just have to be able to label their suffering. Whatever happened to feeling "under the weather".

Nice post, missed you last week.

shoopska said...

the nutrionist's a great idea - i wonder what the odds are that you'll get told not to eat dairy food. seems to have made a big difference to a lot of people i know.
and i'm so impressed you've got christmas sorted!! at the start of december. wow.

Lyvvie said...

Funny you say that Shoop (now have Shoop shoop song in my head - which is good!) Because I went dairy free about 5 years ago and it really has made a huge differance in my life! I no longer need allergy medication and I've not had nearly as many colds (I think quitting smoking helped a lot there too) it's been the best thing I ever did (Thank you Marilu Henner - she's a complete nutter, don't you think?)

Tornwordo, I know, will agree!

karla said...

Sounds like things are going very nicely. I did laugh when I read the name of the doctor's "made-up" illness. Very silly how doctor's invent terms for what they can't properly diagnose, or for what doesn't exist at all.

Maja said...

Hello Lyvvie :)

Seasonal affective disorder just means that you're a little bit affected by the lack of sunlight in the winter months... fuck knows what sub-syndronal means... actually, it seems to be a way of saying you're only very slightly affected by the seasonal affective thing...

Blah blah blah!

I'm back at work today and feeling a little bit tired, but happy to be here and wondering how I'm going to get all the work done that I want to do!

It sounds like you're just basking in domestic bliss there... reading curled up on a sofa... brilliant!

xoxox

aughra said...

I've missed you.

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

I hear if you celebrate Christmas in Scotland, they burn down your house and enslave your children.

Good luck with that.

Lyvvie said...

*Laugh* Well Buggy, considering they teach relegion in school and Christmas is one of those days where you're allowed to not be so "stiff upper lip" boriing, I've yet to see the bonfires.

But it would add a nice light to the holiday. Not to mention Weenie and Marshmallow roast, Yeeha!!!

I'll need to come up with something to post, because I miss you folks too.

The Orchestrator said...

New Question of the Week http://queerinquisition.blogspot.com

NWJR said...

Fine. I'm blogging again.

Your turn....

gusgreeper said...

glad to read your cheery and happy! :)