Monday, November 21, 2005

Oh.

Weird thing, but only for me..well maybe not; we'll see.

I was doing some final bits of Christmas shopping at the crack of the starters pistol, 9:00, and had spent an angry amount of money. I was starting to get a bit freaked out by the crowds just after lunchtime and was headed on my way home. I walked by a table in the middle of the mall that was covered in pillows. The annoying salespeople were wandering around cuddling and petting these pillows, obviously demonstrating how an adult will look lavishing affection on a pillow. Some pillows were plainly covered, and some were in the shape of Barbapapas.

I've not seen the Barbapapas since I was six and it was the only thing on at 5:30 in the morning on Sunday besides Davy and Goliath (the dog always bugged me..."But DAAaaaAaAAavvvYYYYY that's wrong!!") well, and Jabberwocky, but it was in Spanish. For years I had convinced myself that I'd never really seen the Barbapapas because I've not seen/heard of them for over 25 years. But now, some daft woman was snuggling one openly in the middle of the mall!

Do you remember these folks?
barbapapa1

And here's the modern version just in time for the Holidays...

bpapa

At least I wasn't imagining things.

20 comments:

Kim said...

I remember davey and goliath but not the other one... I think shazam and isis came on after davey...

NWJR said...

Ummm...I don't remember them. That's weird.

Maybe because I was watching D&G. My family was Lutheran...we had to watch it. It was the law.

cat said...

OMG! where did you find those??? I remember reading books about them in elementary school (like Kindergarten to maybe grade 3?) I thought I had imagined them too after a while since noone ever knows what I am talking about. ha!

I vaguely remember Davey & Goliath ... I also remember watching the Heathcliff and Dingbat hour.. but no one ever remembers that one. I was about 5 at that time.

NWJR said...

I posted about obscure TV shows some time back at:

This Post

and This Post

and This Post

Lost kid shows are great blog fodder.

Susie Sunshine said...

I have a pail with those critters on it that came all the way from Paris!
I had never seen the buggers before.

YOU HAVE YOUR XMAS SHOPPING DONE?! Wow.

Susie Sunshine said...

I have a pail with those critters on it that came all the way from Paris!
I had never seen the buggers before.

YOU HAVE YOUR XMAS SHOPPING DONE?! Wow.

Riss said...

I think I want one.

gusgreeper said...

i do remember those but not well..i have crap for a memorey.

your monkeys is so close to done....so CLOSE!! wooo HOOOOOOOO

Lyvvie said...

Fingers are twitching just thinking about all the Monkey fun we'll have...I'm planning a postcard tour for Monkey so s/he can keep in touch.

FFFrapgirl said...

don't remember them but do remember Davy and Goliath... I still love Clifford though!

Chick said...

I have to say...I'm glad I don't remember those creepy creepers.

Green-Eyed Lady(GEL) said...

I don't recall seeing anything like that. Ironically, my current post has to do with sleep and first part is about pillows. I can see the appeal here for kids, but for adults...well to each his/her own!

Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

Don't know about that!

tornwordo said...

That's what they call cotton candy up here. "Dad's beard" translated. Never heard of the animated characters of the same name though.

J.a.G. said...

i remember them!
"Clickety click, Barba trick"

geezer squeezer! said...

oh my god! Geezer and I are here looking at this post and we both remember the barbapapas, though I didn't remember that being their exact name. I had the book when I was little, and I'm sure I saw the show as well. They are SO AWESOME though. There is just such a good feeling with the barbapapas!

(now thats totally gay....*geezer*)

shoopska said...

oh how cool!
never saw the show but had the book and i used to love pretending i lived in their house and they were my friends... ah, the memories!!

Mark Leslie said...

Clicky Click, Barbatrick! Man, thanks for the jaunt down memory lane - I haven't heard about Barbapapa in ages!

cat said...

I was just at our local dvd/movie store and they had little Barbapapa figurines!!! I wish I had a camera phone, I would have snapped a shot and let you know!

I haven't seen them since I was 8 or so (except for this post!!)

Wahwer said...

Omigosh-- I had TOTALLY forgotten them!! Thanks for the great memories :-)

D & G always annoyed the ever lovin' snot out of me because I disliked preachiness... but I still watched them ~